Texas Fishing Forum

Haynie vs Nautic Star

Posted By: bud37

Haynie vs Nautic Star - 10/24/13 12:23 AM

We are getting rid of the old Red Fin and looking at 2013s.
Does anyone have any thoughts between a 21 ft Nautic Star or a 21 ft Haynie Cat. Both have 4 stroke 150s. The Nautic Star is a Yamaha and the Haynie is a Mercury. The Haynie ends up being $4,000 more, even though they are rigged the same. We fish in the bay across from Rockport. Thanks
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Haynie vs Nautic Star - 10/24/13 01:14 AM

All depends on where you're planning on using that new toy. The Haynie will run much shallower than the deep v nautic star, easier to get in and out of for wading, but it's not made for big rough water. Everything is a compromise, you're really comparing an apple to banana pudding.
Posted By: DaveRTX

Re: Haynie vs Nautic Star - 10/24/13 01:49 AM

What Pat said. What type of fishing are you in to? Your original post said the you bay fish and no mention of wading. With that said, I'd go NS.
Posted By: Grinder55

Re: Haynie vs Nautic Star - 10/24/13 02:43 AM

Yep - depends on how you plan to use it - fishing deep reefs or well pads in the middle of Copano, Corpus Christi or Aransas Bay or crossing the bay to wade fish St Jo island or drift skinny water.
Posted By: APynckel

Re: Haynie vs Nautic Star - 10/24/13 03:00 AM

How far do you want to walk vs how stable do you want it to be in chop?
Posted By: Bassin Jig

Re: Haynie vs Nautic Star - 10/24/13 05:01 PM

I own a 2012 22ft. Nautic Star XTE with a 225 Yamaha SHO center console and fish Sabine Lake, the Sabine River and the Gulf. I been caught in rough waters and clam. This boat has given me the security I need in these conditions. However, common sense plays a big part on how shallow I can take it, depending on the tides.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Haynie vs Nautic Star - 10/24/13 09:33 PM

If you're planning on Matagorta North, get the deep v, big deep bays, if on the other hand you're Port O' Connor south, I'd lean heavy on the Haynie, much shallower opportunities.

What makes a proper flats hull easy to navigate, you can just look at the bottom and know where you can or can't run, dark bottom, get after it, white bottom, probably not. With a standard v hull, you'll be scraping bottom constantly.
Posted By: TxDuck24

Re: Haynie vs Nautic Star - 10/25/13 10:59 AM

There's no comparison, the Haynie is the way to go by far, you will not be dissapointed
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum