Texas Fishing Forum

Crystal Beach . Rollover Pass

Posted By: Hookn_Stix

Crystal Beach . Rollover Pass - 10/16/13 11:34 AM

Looking for any information to help me catch some fish somewhere on the Bolivar peninsula this weekend. Heading down there Friday midday and staying until Sunday midday. Can't fish the entire time, but would like to for a half day or half night.

Would like to catch few flounder or trout.

What time of the day is best at rollover?
What part of rollover pass should I look at trying to get to?
What baits are best and how to rig them?
How do you rig the bait?

The rest of the trip I will be very near the surf and would like to try my luck for shark or surf fish. I will be taking a kayak, long surf rod, wire leaders, braided line, and large circle hooks. Any helpful info on that is appreciated. I have only fished the surf once a few months ago, but the seaweed was so thick it was impossible to keep a line out.

Been watching the facebook page for rollover, but any additional help is greatly appreciated. If anyone will be in the area, I'll help you out if you can put me on some fish.
Posted By: Surferguyrob

Re: Crystal Beach . Rollover Pass - 10/16/13 01:26 PM

Rollover - Time: Start at daybreak or 4:00 pm on
Where to fish: Depends on the tide - outgoing, fish the bayside. Incoming, fish the beach side.
Baits: Live Shrimp, Live Croaker, Live Mullet.
Rigging: You can do a popping cork on a leader with a treble hook or go to the bottom without the cork. Flounder will be on the bottom.

If you are going for shark, try to catch a stingray and then cut the flaps off to use for bait. The shark go nuts over that. But be prepared, we have caught some very large shark there.
Posted By: Paul Johnson

Re: Crystal Beach . Rollover Pass - 10/16/13 01:52 PM

I spent this past weekend there with my son. We fished all over the Rollover pass and the bay behind it. The bite was slow. We caught a ton of Croaker and one Red fish. There were some decent Flounder being hauled in, sadly not by us. I didn't see or hear of a single speck being caught all weekend. Every bite we had came on dead shrimp, period. I never got a bite on casting plastics, not a one. I couldn't find live shrimp anywhere that I tried.

We went prepared to hit the surf but it was stormy and very rough surf with extreme currents. We opted for safety and stuck to the pass/bay. Sunday, there were quite a few surfcaster's out with a large number of shark guy's set up on the beach farther East.

Good luck, will look forward to your report!

Re: Crystal Beach . Rollover Pass - 10/16/13 02:26 PM

Next time, set up a Carolina Rig. It's pretty simple. Take a piece of line about two foot long, about 1/4 way up, tie a loop that you can tie your actual line to, attach a jig head on one side with a bright yellow curly tail (Gulp) and on the other end a bright pink curly tail. Cast out, reel very slow, when you get a bump DO NOT SET THE HOOK, wait. When the flounder begins to pull, release your reel, let him run about 10 yards, then reel enough a lock the reel. That pull will set the hook. Bring in your flounder. Works everytime.

Re: Crystal Beach . Rollover Pass - 10/18/13 02:29 PM

Thabks for the help. I'll let you know how I do.

Re: Crystal Beach . Rollover Pass - 10/21/13 02:51 PM

Great success.

Group didn't necessarily want to run around from beach to pass, so we set up Saturday midday on the surf. Kayaked out the fresh cut sting ray about 300 yards and let the lines sit. Took about an hour and we had a screaming reel. Seemed like 45 minutes of reeling, but finally got this one in to shore.

Reeling in lines that evening to go back and get dinner on the grill and found out we had something heavy on the line. Not sure how we missed the bite, but either way, dragged this worn out fish into shore.

That night we set up again, had something start pulling line, we gave it a few minutes and started reeling. About half way in it got off.

My second time ever to surf fish, but with all the great posts people have made over the years, it has helped bring me success fast. Gotta love these forums and all the helpful people.

Thanks!
Posted By: xmatador

Re: Crystal Beach . Rollover Pass - 10/21/13 09:09 PM

Good job!
Posted By: Joseph Starr

Re: Crystal Beach . Rollover Pass - 10/21/13 09:16 PM

killed it, beautiful shark!

Re: Crystal Beach . Rollover Pass - 10/22/13 03:17 AM

Sweet. There are some really big shark on that side. I had a very big bullshark about 20 yrds from my yak. The dorsal fin was about 10" out of the water. Freaky!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum