Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone have luck with topwaters in the surf

Posted By: seandemar

Anyone have luck with topwaters in the surf - 08/31/13 12:32 PM

Heu guys

I am headed down to Port Aransas this week with the family. Fishing is limited, but I do plan on getting up early before the rest of the family and hit the surf.

I have tried fishing topwaters before and had no luck, but I wanted to see if any of you guys have success using topwaters in the surf.

I don't want to mess with bait this time around so if there is a better option than topwaters (other lures to consider) that would be great also. Thanks for the help.

Sean
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Anyone have luck with topwaters in the surf - 08/31/13 12:47 PM

The Chronicle reported that top waters were taking trout in the Galveston surf yesterday.
Posted By: Gaff

Re: Anyone have luck with topwaters in the surf - 08/31/13 08:41 PM

I've done very well with tops in the surf around Surfside area. If the seas are flat or near flat give it a try. Also gold or silver spoons do well in the surf. I would advise useing a steel leader.
Posted By: seandemar

Re: Anyone have luck with topwaters in the surf - 09/01/13 02:32 AM

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully it won't be too rough when I am there and I will pack some leaders and spoons in case they are needed.

Sean
Posted By: Makzym0s

Re: Anyone have luck with topwaters in the surf - 09/03/13 08:01 PM

I was at San Luis Pass (freeport side) this past Friday night/Saturday morning and was throwing Super Spook Jr and slaying ladyfish.

Now I know they arent exactly a desirable fish but I had a great time pullin them in. I was actually fishing near the County campgrounds but throwing away from the bulkhead lights. Used a black/chartreuse and red/white spook jr but I think any color would've worked as long as you knew how to vary the speeds on your walk-the-dog. I had about two feet of 30lb mono leader tied onto 20lb power pro braid and i was sure to change out leader every once in awhile since they tear it.

Like I said, I was just having fun catching fish... I wasnt out to bring in a big trout or red.
The group I was with did pull in 4 keeper flounder, a couple trout (only one keeper), few spanish mackerals and a redfish. Most of those were caught on freelined mullet or small minnow crankbaits.
Posted By: Pferox

Re: Anyone have luck with topwaters in the surf - 09/03/13 11:07 PM

Man that sounded like a nice trip.

I like to take a day once in a while to target lady fish, small croaker, etc. Then I freeze them to use for cut bait in the winter when they are harder to find.

I haven't run across a lady fish bite recently, hope to run across one soon.
Posted By: Galveston340

Re: Anyone have luck with topwaters in the surf - 09/03/13 11:11 PM

.....along with the topwater of your choice I'd try a Tony Acetta #7 silver spoon with a tail(feather)attached.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum