Texas Fishing Forum

Surf fishing in the winter

Posted By: Pearlandpup

Surf fishing in the winter - 01/24/03 06:18 PM

Is surf fishing dead in the winter? I understand that all these high pressure weather systems moving through doesn't help fishing. Should we give night fishing a try or plan fishing after a major tide change. Should i just try some bay wade fishing right now? I heard of a few guys limiting out on some large trout with some spoons, in a deep hole in west bay. anything would helplful. Tight lines Pearlandpup
Posted By: whopperstopper

Re: Surf fishing in the winter - 01/24/03 07:54 PM

Hey Pearland Pup... Surf fishing is no where near Dead in the Winter... Here is a pic of a pair of reds that were caught 2 weeks ago at Surfside at the Surf-Masters Drum fishing Seminar. Weather was cold and raining, and we were still catching fish... and had a great time..

Here is a link to the report with more pics!
Surfside Report

[This message has been edited by whopperstopper (edited 01-24-2003).]

[This message has been edited by whopperstopper (edited 01-24-2003).]
Posted By: catfishinfool

Re: Surf fishing in the winter - 01/24/03 08:45 PM

ok, i have had the itch for a while now. where is this place at? i know where surfside is, is there a particular place that is better than others? like straight from the beach? friends have a beachhouse down there, is fishing straight from the beach a good start? i have only fished saltwater from the galveston pier. what all do you need to have?
Posted By: Pearlandpup

Re: Surf fishing in the winter - 01/25/03 01:50 PM

Whopperstopper, you are the surfmaster! I remember reading about the drum seminar at the surfmaster site and just plain missed it. Are there any more up and coming fishing events that i can jump on to learn what the heck to do to catch some fish. I have been wearing a skunk hat for this past fall and winter and it is starting to smell. Did you catch those reds in Freeport? The reason I ask is because that doesn't look like the beachfront behind them.Where exactly are they? What kind of bait did you use and did you fish for them after a tide change? Thanks for sharing any info. Tight Lines! Pearlandpup
Posted By: txfishermann

Re: Surf fishing in the winter - 01/27/03 03:42 PM

Whopperstopper, great pictures man, can you explain to me this bait deployer and if you can buy one.
Thanks,

Ben S.
Posted By: whopperstopper

Re: Surf fishing in the winter - 01/30/03 03:39 PM

Hey Catfishinfool,

This place is in Surfside/Freeport... We are near the Jetties fishing into the Channel (Deep Water) You want a long rod fishing 20 to 30 lb line.. These fish stay deep in the winter, which also means they need to be deflated before released because they are literally "tight as a drum" full of pressure. Here is an article that will tell you more about it. Winter Drum Fishing

Pearlandpup,
We will be putting on another informal get together for the Month of February, and then a Fishing trip to the South Padre Surf in March. The Surf-Masters Messageboard will have the event posted as they start to unfold. Maybe we will do some boiled crawfish this time!

Black Cat, Here are some more pics of the deployer that Gonzofish designed and built. It has a 1/4 mile remote control range and uses a trolling motor for power. The bait/leader is clipped into one of the two bait tubes in the rear with a rubber band. You run the baits out and hold your line and pop the rubber band for release. It will run through moderate surf and actually submarine under the waves and will right itself back up if flipped over and keep on going. I say moderate surf also, because you have difficulty seeing it behind the waves sometimes to maneuver it. They are not available for Sale.. but we plan on blueprinting it, and having a group construction workshop. Where everybody that wants to build one for themselves can do so in a group enviroment. This way the design can be changed or improved on withing the group. Best thing to do is watch the message board and see.. or post and ask..

We also have in the plans a mobile bait tank for your beach vehicle that we will do a how to build on also... That is a really nice piece of equipment to have, and really inexpensive to build.. it keeps you bait alive all day.

I hope I answered all of the questions!

------------------

Surf-Masters
TexSafaris Extreme Outdoors

[This message has been edited by whopperstopper (edited 01-30-2003).]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum