Texas Fishing Forum

Copano Bay

Posted By: Gneimeth

Copano Bay - 01/02/12 09:38 PM

Planning a trip at the end of January and will be staying close by copano. Ive never fished the coast in the winter and was wondering what types of bait / lures are good (live shrimp on popping cork, jigs with gulp shrimp or minnows, texas trout killers on jigs, etc.)?

Posted By: Aquatic Ash

Re: Copano Bay - 01/02/12 09:43 PM

I am going to make a trip there myself in a few weeks. The last 3 times I have went, the bridge has sucked in the summer months. Hope it is better in the winter.

Posted By: Neumie

Re: Copano Bay - 01/02/12 11:40 PM

Will you have access to a boat?

Re: Copano Bay - 01/03/12 12:02 AM

Yep, i just got it up here in FW and taking it down there for the forst time. I am familiar with the south side of the bay but was wondering where and what i should try. Plan on trolling the shorelines and fishing the airport flats as well as redfish point.

Posted By: 28incher

Re: Copano Bay - 01/03/12 12:18 AM

There is a place at the back of Copano Bay, called Turtle Bay that is very good. There are some old duck blinds on the West side of the bay where you can pick up some nice reds.

Re: Copano Bay - 01/03/12 01:47 AM

Im a little concerned about the reefs?

Re: Copano Bay - 01/03/12 05:13 PM

Turtle Pen and Port Bay are where I typically fish during the winter time on Copano.

Turtle Pen is pretty easy to get to from Public ramp at the pier, just aim for Newcomb Point and you'll be alright from there.

Port Bay is a little trickier because you have to hit a deep channel off of Rattlesnake Point. If you over shoot it it goes from 12 ft to 6 inches instantly.

The only reefs you really need to be concerned with are Lap, Copano, and Shellbank reefs are the shallowest ones in the bay that you'll have to navigate around.

Re: Copano Bay - 01/03/12 09:17 PM

looks like we may rent a house right by salt lake on the bay side.

Re: Copano Bay - 01/03/12 11:42 PM

Where is port bay?

Re: Copano Bay - 01/04/12 12:51 PM

Port Bay is on the south side of the bay and is near Salt Lake. Salt Lake is a nice area to stay, but the actual lake is very shallow.

This map is fun thing to look at. It overlays the NOAA nautical charts on a Google Aerial Map.

http://marine.geogarage.com/routes

Re: Copano Bay - 01/04/12 03:51 PM

Very cool - how / where do you fish port bay? I was there a few years ago and did not have any luck...

Posted By: flydoc

Re: Copano Bay - 01/04/12 10:52 PM

I fished Port Bay from the end of port bay rd. and follow the old bridge pilings to the channel. Did well on flounder and trouts there with reds around the duck blinds.

Re: Copano Bay - 01/05/12 03:20 PM

flydoc - you using cut bait or shrimp on popping corks or plastics on jigs?

Re: Copano Bay - 01/05/12 04:02 PM

I'm sure bait will work especially reds, but I use flys only with the 8wt rod. The trouts and flounder are quite aggresive and readily chew the fly. Clousers and a trailer white fly--Jimmy-- got it done. I would go to the channel and drift the edges and anchcor-up when I get bit. The trout were in concentrated schools and often would hook-up on both flys.
Tightlines

Posted By: FL-Fishlady

Re: Copano Bay - 01/09/12 03:57 AM

Keep a close check on the Red Tide in the area that will totally spoil a fishin' trip. fish

Re: Copano Bay - 01/12/12 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: FL-Fishlady
Keep a close check on the Red Tide in the area that will totally spoil a fishin' trip. fish

Red tide this time of year. Seriously

Posted By: jwrinkle

Re: Copano Bay - 01/15/12 04:09 PM

I was just in Aransas Pass this past Thursday and Friday. Red tide was just working its way out. No live bait to be found.

Posted By: FL-Fishlady

Re: Copano Bay - 01/15/12 07:14 PM

Yes, Red Tide has been bothering fishermen and killing fish all along the coast of Texas for months due to the lack of fresh water!! Rockport and Copano Bay have been hit hard lately. fish

Posted By: RWS

Re: Copano Bay - 01/16/12 05:16 PM

live bait hard to find right now. gulps, doa shrimp under a popping cork and small topwaters should work for u. look for mud, grass and shell and you should find some reds and trout maybe a few flounder. Turtle Pen and the shoreline north of mission bay r sometimes good.

Posted By: txcowboy1961

Re: Copano Bay - 02/05/12 08:12 PM

That Bay is my baby call me and i'll losd ya up. Know every inch of that pupy. What to use and where and for what, 817-368-1142

Re: Copano Bay - 02/06/12 12:04 PM

Thanks Txcowboy - I will reach out on my next trip.....

Posted By: KSfishingFarmer

Re: Copano Bay - 03/06/12 12:26 PM

I'm going to revive this thread now since i'm planning a trip to Copano Bay with the family next week (despite poor wx forecasts). We are staying right on the bay, close to salt lake. I will have waders, fly rod, and spinning gear and a lighted pier in front of our rental house. I'm from KS, but had a few trips to the gulf for reds/specs. I know the basics, but am really looking for good advice on how/where to fish the bay in early-mid march. I do not have a boat, but i'm considering renting one. Thoughts? Advice? Thanks in advance.

Posted By: Ambassador84

Re: Copano Bay - 03/06/12 12:30 PM

If you are going to rent a boat you may as well rent a guide. You can get yourself into a bit of trouble down there if you don't know the area your navigating with your boat. If you go with a guide and ask lots of questions you will learn more in one day than most people learn in years of doing it the hard way.

Posted By: TheRodFather

Re: Copano Bay - 03/06/12 05:54 PM

Aransas river has upper slot reds this time of year..lots of eating size drum too.

Re: Copano Bay - 03/07/12 03:26 AM

nitro - thanks for the tip....you are probably right. Since this is a family trip I'm not sure i can justify the time/money for a guide (or for that matter renting a boat). I'd love to find some areas I can wade fish this time of year. Any tips?

Re: Copano Bay - 03/09/12 04:42 PM

Go over the copano bay bridge and take a right at the gas station (towards goose island state park). Go all the way until you get to a 4 way stop with a tree in the middle of it. DON'T turn. Just go through that intersection. You will drive until the road takes you around a left turn. Stay on this road (you will pass a boat ramp on the right and some fishing cabins on the left) for about a mile (the bay to your right is St. Charles Bay). Once you get to where it makes you go left again (or you'll drive into the water)stop right there and wade fish. Bottom is pretty good there. Shuffle your feet for rays. Try some gulp shrimp lightly weighted or throw it under a cork. Try dead shrimp also for black drum. When you go down there go to Tackle Town and get you a good map showing some of the wading areas around there. They can be very useful for someone just starting out.

Re: Copano Bay - 03/10/12 11:24 AM

Nitro - Again, thanks for the tips. That should give me some stuff to try. I will definitely visit Tackle Town for a map and advice.

Thanks
Andy

Posted By: thresher61

Re: Copano Bay - 03/22/12 05:53 AM

Need help bad...my wife wants to wade fish with me. I cover slot of area also need my yak to get to my spots. She refuses to yak at least now. It's cool she wants to fish but I needsome help on some great fishing spots that are accessible by wading!!! Any advise on some good wade fishing spots around rockport, Copano bay I really want her to catch some good trout or reds. Guess I'm pretty lucky fishing partner at dY time, covers pRtner at night not a bad combo. Thanks for any help or spots

Re: Copano Bay - 03/22/12 11:47 AM

Read the post two posts before yours.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum