Texas Fishing Forum

Laguna Madre fishing line

Posted By: crawdaddct

Laguna Madre fishing line - 09/19/11 12:47 PM

I have fished my whole life, but my experience is in dirty water. Lousiana, Sabine Lake, Galveston, and trinity bay. I am going down to the Laguna Madre for the first time and im concerned about my fishing line. With the water clairity being so much better, what fishing line is the best? I am just going to rig up a couple of my poles for the trip.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Laguna Madre fishing line - 09/19/11 12:55 PM

I use 20# power pro braid direct to my jigs, 15# Ande back country mono direct to my top waters and spoons.

Not once ever has anyone ever shown me in whatever water clarity we're in that going to all the trouble and fuss over a leader does it make one bit of difference.
Posted By: FoldCatOne

Re: Laguna Madre fishing line - 09/19/11 10:19 PM

or add 15-20 pound fluorocarbon leader to the Power Pro braid. The fluoro disappears in water.

Re: Laguna Madre fishing line - 09/19/11 11:50 PM

Thats kinda what I was thinking. I will definitely try the power braid. If the fish seem to hesitate, I may try the fluoro leader. I have never been big on leaders, unless off shore fishing. But was wondering if that makes a difference.
Posted By: fancast

Re: Laguna Madre fishing line - 09/21/11 04:36 PM

I fish the Upper Laguna all the time and use Mono in, Clear, Blue Steel and Camo Green, effectively. If your a Mono guy, you might want to have one setup.

Re: Laguna Madre fishing line - 09/21/11 09:32 PM

Thanks Fan. Im going to rig one for myself with braid. My boys will stick with the mono. So we shall see if there is any difference.
Posted By: DaveRTX

Re: Laguna Madre fishing line - 09/22/11 12:21 AM

Craw, are your looding fish?
Posted By: FoldCatOne

Re: Laguna Madre fishing line - 09/22/11 05:57 PM

A secret with mono leaders and I guess if you were using mono line it would be the same is to take one of those green scratch scrubbie pads and run your mono leader and maybe a foot or two of your line a couple of times each direction through the scrubbie pad pinched on the line. It takes the line and makes Minute scratches on it that change the way it reflects light in the water. Another thing I use is 1200 (yes 1200) grit sandpaper and do the same thing - gently. A significant amount of the visibility of mono line is it's light reflecting properties.
Posted By: Neil in Austin

Re: Laguna Madre fishing line - 09/27/11 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
I use 20# power pro braid direct to my jigs, 15# Ande back country mono direct to my top waters and spoons.

Not once ever has anyone ever shown me in whatever water clarity we're in that going to all the trouble and fuss over a leader does it make one bit of difference.

Pat, are you using the 15lb Ande as a leader with the PP or complete reel of Ande? I'm guessing a complete reel, sorry didn't read your second part re. leader.

Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Laguna Madre fishing line - 09/29/11 12:00 PM

I love braid, it will catch you a lot more fish at the end of the day, but I do not like braid on a topwater, so that's mostly what I'm using my baitcasters for.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum