Texas Fishing Forum

Rod choice

Posted By: littlewheel

Rod choice - 11/29/22 04:26 AM

Does anyone use a medium light for trout or eater size reds? I just built 2 medium light rods and am going to Venice next week. Just some thoughts.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Rod choice - 11/29/22 06:15 AM

Yes I do.
The ML gets the work for swim tail plastics. The softer rod allows a trout to suck down the plastic easier, and it won't pull the hook out as easy.

Re: Rod choice - 11/29/22 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pat Goff
Yes I do.
The ML gets the work for swim tail plastics. The softer rod allows a trout to suck down the plastic easier, and it won't pull the hook out as easy.

Thanks. I just wonder if I could handle a big red if one happened to get on
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Rod choice - 11/29/22 03:35 PM

You're not bass fishing, there's no obstructions for them to get snarled up in. Let 'em pull drag, that's why it's there.

[Linked Image]

Re: Rod choice - 11/29/22 04:58 PM

That sounds like a plan ! Thanks
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Rod choice - 12/01/22 06:45 PM

7' ML BC Long handle is what I use on both.....

Re: Rod choice - 12/02/22 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by V-Bottom

7' ML BC Long handle is what I use on both.....

That is great to know. Just don’t want to be “underpowered” so to speak. I just recently built an MHX L842 and SJ 842 baitcaster.
Posted By: East Bay Guide Jeff Brandon

Re: Rod choice - 01/06/23 09:46 PM

I prefer a 7' Medium Light or Medium Fast for Trout - Depending on the size Reds you are chasing you might want to move up a notch - or if you hook into any bulls it will be an extended fight - although FUN !
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Rod choice - 01/09/23 02:14 AM

Although I fly fish 99% of the time, I have several 6 1/2’ to 7 1/2’ light and mediul light rigs, both spinning and levelwind, rigged with 4, 6, and 8 lb, line. I use them when I fish with folks who don’t throw flies. Learn to fight fish with the butt of the rod and you’ll be able to handle whatever you hook inshore. I won’t use the 4 lb. line in the summer, but in cooler water you won’t be killing fish if you use the rod butt to fight them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum