Texas Fishing Forum

Another Port A Question - Buying Bait & Keeping bait alive

Posted By: Holzer

Another Port A Question - Buying Bait & Keeping bait alive - 07/06/21 04:41 PM

Suggestions as to where to buy bait closest to Port A?
Have boat, willing to travel by water. At least a little.

Next question:
If I put some shrimp/croaker in my livewell, will they be ok next morning? I do have a 50 gallon Sunshine Bait Tank, but not really wanting to take it. But I may if it's a must.
What's best to "baby them" through the night?

Will that shad alive stuff (that turns the water blue) work with shad also?
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Another Port A Question - Buying Bait & Keeping bait alive - 07/06/21 05:13 PM

Fin and Feather is about half way between port a and aransas pass.

This time of year it's hard to keep bait alive due to the water temps. If you add a few frozen water bottles, keep the amount of shrimp small compared to the amount of water you have and have good aeration you might keep some shrimp alive. I have never been successful at keeping croaker alive overnight.

It's best to buy your bait fresh the morning of your trip.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Another Port A Question - Buying Bait & Keeping bait alive - 07/06/21 05:43 PM

Thanks Jerry713
Sounds like salty bait is just like freshwater shad.
Posted By: Mark S

Re: Another Port A Question - Buying Bait & Keeping bait alive - 07/12/21 10:46 PM

not quite as bad as shad. Not near as nasty either. Shad are stanky slimy things.
You can eat a croaker if they are bigger. I would have to be about to die before I would try a threadfin shad.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Another Port A Question - Buying Bait & Keeping bait alive - 07/12/21 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mark S
Not near as nasty either. Shad are stanky slimy things.

Lol shrimp can get pretty nasty
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum