Texas Fishing Forum

Running rockport to port A

Posted By: carb

Running rockport to port A - 07/06/21 03:26 AM

Got a place in rockport in a couple of weeks. I wanna fish port A jetties at least one of those days. I know it’s not a bad drive on the roads from one to the other but I was considering making the run up the intracoastal there and back. From the charts looks like about 22 ish miles each way. Anything to consider on that run? I would be departing from the southern edge of Copano bay bridge. Looks like plenty of deep water where I can cut across South to intersect the channel or should I head more east and take the most direct route to the marked Chanel?
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Running rockport to port A - 07/06/21 05:28 PM

Your route will likely be determined by the wind. If you head south down the shore from the bridge pretty much straight towards mud island you'll be in for one rough ride if the winds are over about 12 mph out of the SE. Winds over 15 mph and you're looking at 2-3 foot rollers out there. Keep that in mind otherwise it's not a bad run. If the winds are bad once you get south of Key Allegro duck into the ICW and follow it south until you get to the bridge then turn left and that'll take you to the jetties. If the winds are too bad to make it from Copano bridge down to the ICW then it's likely going to be too bad to fish the jetties from a boat. You can check the wave forecast for that area here.

Re: Running rockport to port A - 07/07/21 02:56 PM

Great information, thank you!
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Running rockport to port A - 07/11/21 04:43 PM

I would put in at Conn Brown. That run from east of Key Allego to Copano could be zero fun if the wind comes up.
Posted By: Captain Nathan Beabout

Re: Running rockport to port A - 07/11/21 05:18 PM

If interested I offer navigational trips in that area. We take your boat show you how to get around safely, mark your gps with any hazards, and have fishing discussions in the areas your are interested in. If you would like further info, give me a call. Cell;(210)452-9680

Re: Running rockport to port A - 07/11/21 08:58 PM

Nathan I am booked with you on the 19th. Very much looking forward to it!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum