Texas Fishing Forum

South Padre

Posted By: F250

South Padre - 06/18/21 12:11 PM

Going to padre next week, got a guide for some bay fishing one day. Was planning on driving out to the jetty’s to try and catch something. I am completely green to salt water, so my question is what baits mainly artificial would do any good? It’s just myself and 14yo son we’re just looking to kill some time and maybe catch something.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: South Padre - 06/18/21 12:41 PM

Don't over think it. My lure list isn't long but works.
1/8 screw lock jig heads.
Plastics:
Norton Sand eel tequila/chart baffin magic
Hogie super minnow pumkin/Chart Red glitter/white

Spook type topwater

gold weedless spoon/ silver spoon.

Plastics on spinning rod w/20# braid, topwater spoons on casting rods w/15# mono.

Good luck.
Posted By: sticknstring

Re: South Padre - 06/18/21 04:24 PM

I would advise some weed less jig heads / plastics in your arsenal. This tropical depression may create some north winds down south and generate a lot of grassy conditions. Hopefully it’ll be cleared up by then.

Re: South Padre - 06/19/21 10:32 AM

Thanks 👍🏻
Posted By: Fish Art Texas

Re: South Padre - 06/28/21 02:54 PM

you will do well with guide reds are biting with afew trout if you go for them. if you want to catch fish go early in am to surf with a light carolina rig and small treble hook with dead shrimp, you will catch plenty of whiting that are quite edible. good luck!

Re: South Padre - 06/28/21 04:30 PM

Thanks for info. Used a guide on Wednesday crappy weather, went back out Thursday and caught a few reds on plastics.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum