Texas Fishing Forum

Estes flats - Big Cut

Posted By: ShinerInTx

Estes flats - Big Cut - 11/06/20 04:24 PM

Is the below an acceptable path to run from ICW to big cut? Tried yesterday and started off going too Far East of this path. I pretty much idled across the flats at around 2ft of water until getting close to Big Cut, dropped trolling motor, but it was impassable. Just wind drifted out the whole way and fished. But, I’d like tips for running on plane around here. Seems common for people to run on plane in 2 ft of water.

I have a 17ft Mako Pro Skiff, but I have no desire to push its limits. Thanks. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Estes flats - Big Cut - 11/10/20 05:01 PM

OP I've been across there a bunch but always in shallow running boats. I'm guessing the draft is 18" on plane on your boat? At normal or even higher tide you'll be fine. Lower tides especially in January or August would be iffy.
Posted By: Blutarsky

Re: Estes flats - Big Cut - 11/10/20 11:35 PM

It helps if you go a little wider (more toward the boat to the west) and enter the cut straight in. As Jerry said, at higher tide (1' MSL or better) you should have no problem as long as you stay in the cut. At lower tide than that I wouldn't chance it. If you get outside the cut even a little, it goes from feet to inches. The cut is marked but not real well. Also, getting into California Hole will have the same issue at low tide. The entrances to California Hole, both from Estes, thru Big Bayou and from Corpus Christi Cut (or Morris and Cummins Cut) get pretty shallow. At low tide they are pretty scary.

And always have a Sea Tow or Boat US towing membership.
Posted By: K5RCD

Re: Estes flats - Big Cut - 11/16/20 04:28 PM

How I run Big Cut to Intracoastal.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ShinerInTx

Re: Estes flats - Big Cut - 12/08/20 03:57 PM

Thanks for the tips guys.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Estes flats - Big Cut - 12/08/20 06:56 PM

Here's your basic navigating tips.
1. Wave height is 1/2 water depth. 6" wave is 12" deep. You look for breaks in wave patterns to see reefs, bars and shoals.
2. Dark bottom is good, white is to be avoided.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum