Texas Fishing Forum

Anyone use an anchor pole?

Posted By: Lil joe

Anyone use an anchor pole? - 03/22/20 03:28 AM

Years ago I went fishing with a guide in Florida who had this stick that he would stick in the sand and tie the boat off to it. I’ve been trying to figure out exactly what it is because it seems like it should be a much cheaper option than power poles or talons? Does anyone know of something like this?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Anyone use an anchor pole? - 03/22/20 06:58 AM

Yes, I have one I bought to use with my small boat. It has the logo on it; I'll take a look tomorrow. BTW, I like it. It's a fiberglass pole that works because it DOES bend rather than get pried over when the boat pulls on it. By bending, it doesn't break the point out of the bottom as readily.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Anyone use an anchor pole? - 03/22/20 07:46 AM

Research Wang Anchor and stakeout stick.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Anyone use an anchor pole? - 03/22/20 01:29 PM

I used one religiously fishing from my Meyers Sportspal S-15 canoe. And, less frequently, but some too from my kayaks.

Canoes are notoriously difficult to keep still in even weak winds so a stake-out pole is often just what is needed to "stay put." Much faster than dropping an anchor, too.

I installed an anchor trolley and it had a ring about 2" in diameter. I'd just stab my stake-out pole through the ring into mud. They work great, common among us canoe and kayakers. They'd work great for smaller boats, too, I suspect.

Best use, of course, shallow water fishing.

I had Rick at Anglers Pro Tackle in Fort Worth build mine years ago. It is built with sections that screw together so it can be lengthened to about 11 feet and made rather short, too.

Brad
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Anyone use an anchor pole? - 03/22/20 05:24 PM

https://shallowwatersolutions.com/

anytide , a poster on this board sells them I think. He advertises in the classified. Search for "shallow water anchors"
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Anyone use an anchor pole? - 03/22/20 08:41 PM

You’re talking about a stick it or stake out pole. Stiffy makes a good one.

I made mine from a grounding rod. Torch to bend a loop in top. It holds in sand or mud like grim death. And washes down easier than a fiberglass pole. I carry a come along with me for the times I get a little to frisky and run aground. I can stick my rod in and use it to winch my way back to floatable water.
Posted By: rebait

Re: Anyone use an anchor pole? - 03/23/20 07:42 PM

I have had the stick it anchor pin and the brake on the back of my boat for several years. It has worked great and stored well on the side of my boat on the supplied mounts. Very much out of the way. I recently took off with it still in the brake and hit it with the prop. It splintered but did not break the pole or the brake nor damage my prop. Stupidity costs $. I was pleased with the small amount of damaged caused and will order another before I head to the coast. 19' Kenner with a 115 Merc holds great with it. I use 1 at back and anchor front if needed with conventional anchor.
Posted By: ST1300

Re: Anyone use an anchor pole? - 03/26/20 04:47 PM

I have SuperStick Anchor Pin and Stick It Anchor Pin The Brake mount. Got pole and mount at BassPro. I have Xpress H20Bay boat and The Brake is mounted to front and keep pole on deck like fishing pole. When I want to anchor I shut off trolling motor and put the stake in. Works great in moderate current and winds less than 15mph. In heavy current or heavy winds I do not advise. I have second Pole that is 2 piece screw together. I built a PVC mount for it at back of boat. I use both for heavy current and high winds. I find my setup works best in 6 foot of water or less. The stick it is 9 feet and 2 part pole is 11 feet. Most recently the metal tip of SuperStick came off and I need to find new tip and glue/screw it on. Total coast in 2 poles and mounts is about 290$.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Anyone use an anchor pole? - 03/26/20 06:53 PM

Yeah, might want to ask why you're holding the boat. 99% of the time I'm stabbing it off is to stop so we can wade. My grounding rod works great for that, it will never ever never come loose. Last thing I'd want to see is the scooter sailing away like a empty potato chip bag.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum