Texas Fishing Forum

Summer Canal fishing

Posted By: Kscribner21

Summer Canal fishing - 01/27/20 04:46 PM

Just booked my house for late July trip, will be surf fishing mornings but plan on Canal fishing during the nights. House has green light and is about 100 ft from the bay opening of the canal. Any advise on what to fish for/how?

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Minnowkiller

Re: Summer Canal fishing - 01/27/20 09:55 PM

Your best bet in the lights is to free line/1 small split shot a live shrimp in and around them.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Summer Canal fishing - 01/27/20 11:36 PM

Where at? You should be able to score some trout free lining live shrimp as mentioned above. I use my fly rod and a clouser at South Padre at night.
Posted By: Coastal Bend Bassin

Re: Summer Canal fishing - 01/27/20 11:42 PM

What part of the state you going to?
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Summer Canal fishing - 01/28/20 02:15 AM

Get some flounder....mud minnow or finger mullet at night.
Posted By: Kscribner21

Re: Summer Canal fishing - 01/28/20 06:14 PM

Jamaica Beach just south of Galveston
Posted By: flydoc

Re: Summer Canal fishing - 01/30/20 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Curt0407
Where at? You should be able to score some trout free lining live shrimp as mentioned above. I use my fly rod and a clouser at South Padre at night.

Curt.. I'll be in Port Isabel all of Feb.. How's the nite lites around there. Lookin for snook and trout OTF from the yak. Thanks
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Summer Canal fishing - 01/30/20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by flydoc
Originally Posted by Curt0407

Curt.. I'll be in Port Isabel all of Feb.. How's the nite lites around there. Lookin for snook and trout OTF from the yak. Thanks

Can't help you much there. Most of my fishing has been in the late summer or early fall when the water is still warm. There is a large lighted fishing pier on the Port Isabel side next to the causeway. All my fishing has been on the South Padre side. There are numerous lighted piers on the South Padre side. Trout should be there if the water is warming up. In November there were trout even with cooling water. They were willing to hit bone colored smaller zara spooks. I did not break out my fly rods for that trip.

PM sent
Posted By: 1Fisher77316

Re: Summer Canal fishing - 01/31/20 03:38 PM

Think small! Most of the trout under the lights are feeding on glass minnows. I break out the ultralight and tie on double 1/16 or 1/32 oz jig heads. Small plastics in minnow and shad shapes will catch you plenty of fish. Fish the edges of the lights..dark to light transition .Feel free to PM if more information is needed.
Tight lines!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum