Texas Fishing Forum

South Padre Newbie

Posted By: Mikewalerak

South Padre Newbie - 12/23/19 02:07 AM

I’ll be down at SPI visiting my dad at Isla Blanca Park Jan 15. What should I expect to catch on the jetty what gear should I bring. Is too water worth trying in the morning? I’m pretty new to fishing at SPI but plan to figure it out. Also, What should I use to try and get redfish from the beach? What else is worth trying?
I’m a Mn fella just looking to enjoy the fishing.

Next question. If I went out on a party boat bay fishing what tackle should I bring to maximize my fish catching abilities?
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: South Padre Newbie - 12/23/19 02:27 AM

Redfish are really easy to catch if they are around. Fresh cut bait, maybe a MH 7' rod and a reel that can handle at least a 30# class line and leader line. Can't say what the current will be like but choose an appropriate type of weight. I always use a Carolina rigged setup using an egg weight or a spider weight. As far as the beach thing....same rig but a different rod , maybe 11' MH.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: South Padre Newbie - 12/23/19 02:50 PM

I was down there in late November and fished from the jetty near the bait stand. Caught a wide variety of fish on fresh dead shrimp. I was using regular bass tackle. Sometimes the current is pretty strong so you may have to use some fairly heavy weight. I also used some shrimp flavored Fish Bites.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: South Padre Newbie - 12/23/19 06:16 PM

Welcome to the Forum Mike!

Re: South Padre Newbie - 12/25/19 03:50 PM

Another silly question. If I’m out on the jetty, does a guy make long casts and fish on the bottom? Short cast and fish in the rocks? Short cast and fish with a float over the rocks? Bobber over deep water? I’m experienced in all MN fishing but jetty fishing is pretty new to me.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: South Padre Newbie - 12/25/19 07:48 PM

The only bad option is fishing in the rocks. Unless you have an unlimited supply of rigs. A float over the top of the rock, ok. I was fishing on the bottom using a carolina rig set up with a size 1 to 2 stainless hook. The rocks are notorious for tackle stealing.

Re: South Padre Newbie - 01/09/20 10:10 PM

I’ll be fishing next week. Has anyone been out or have any advice? I’ll be staying right in Isla Blanc Park but willing to head up the beach if that is what it takes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum