Texas Fishing Forum

Uhh sorry but last minute trip

Posted By: Synstars

Uhh sorry but last minute trip - 12/07/19 09:13 PM

Hey guys need some quick help. At work and the family says they want to go to Galveston on Sunday and surf fish. I have never surf fished but curious if the following gear would suffice. Looking quickly at the map the north end of Galveston would probably be where we go and what I remember 3/0 - 4/0 circle hooks with shrimp or bait fish (will ask bait shop when we hit town or if anyone . Pyramid weights 1-2oz using a drop weight rig?

I have the following freshwater poles and wondering if I have to stop at the store after work to get more gear poles or tackle.

Penn fierce II 7 ft medium w/ penn reel 10 lbs mono
Kastking legend royal baitcast w/ kastking 7ft pedigree M pole 10 lbs mono
Kastking Sharky III Spinning rod w/ pedigree 7ft pole MH 15lbs braid
Uglystik gx2 6.6 ft M Combo 10 lbs mono

Should I go purchase surf gear or would this suffice for speckled trout and red drum?

Sorry work at the Houston TMC and new to Texas so asking for huge favor. Thanks guys!
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: Uhh sorry but last minute trip - 12/07/19 09:28 PM

Go with what you have, however, 10 pound string might be a little light. My minimum when I hit the coast is 15, just in case. As long as you have a good drag system, you can handle some pretty good sized fish with 15 pound line.

Re: Uhh sorry but last minute trip - 12/07/19 09:35 PM

awesome 1-2 oz pyramids and drop weight rig a choice for this time of year as well?

Re: Uhh sorry but last minute trip - 12/07/19 10:17 PM

Or go with 5” popping corks and couple ft leader?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum