Texas Fishing Forum

Semi-beginner needing some help

Posted By: DripDrop

Semi-beginner needing some help - 09/30/19 08:54 PM

I grew up fishing the small creeks and rivers of the hill country. Recently moved to Houston for my job. Been taking my kayak down to the coast and trying to learn as much about saltwater as I can. I know many will recommend guides and I will do this when the budget allows but in the mean time need some help. I've been fishing the freeport area (drum bay and SLP). Starting to learn how to find the fish now I just need to work on their size. Most recent trip caught ~12 averaging 17-18 inches. Time before that about 20 at 12-14 inches. I felt like I was closer this time around but was wondering what yall do when this happens? I had a hard time moving this time around when I felt like any next fish might finally be big enough. After none over 20 I suppose I should have moved... Is it a fishing change I can make or is this kinda the nature of the region I'm fishing?
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Semi-beginner needing some help - 10/01/19 12:11 AM

What are you after? A dozen specks at 17-18 inches ain't a bad day. A dozen reds that size is certainly a lot of fun, even if they are too small to keep. Some of the best strikes and fights I've had from reds were that size fish. I'd suggest you invest in the Trout Support videos. Although I haven't seen them myself, I've heard an awful lot of folks praise them, and never heard a bad review of them yet. Check them out; they can help you with both specks and reds. Way cheaper than a guided trip and solid info to significantly shorten your learning curve.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Semi-beginner needing some help - 10/01/19 12:50 AM

Drum Bay is a favorite place of mine to fish when in the kayak. I bet if you keep at it there, you’ll get on some slot redfish. Really any spot or reef or shoreline out in Drum Bay could work out on any given trip. I don’t know how you are fishing, but lots of ways can work.
Posted By: yak dog

Re: Semi-beginner needing some help - 10/05/19 03:20 PM

Get into the marshes , you’ll find the reds . Seems your doing fine with the trout. I try to stay away from the heavily fished areas / get away from the crowds. I like fishing the early mornings or evenings vs mid day. The Galveston marshes seem to produce better if your willing to go that way. Get on goggle and look around for the marsh areas , launch locations , deep cuts coming out of the marsh and bays . Fish the dumps/ cuts on outgoing tides . Fish the marsh when the tides allow.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Semi-beginner needing some help - 10/05/19 05:51 PM

Check out www.troutsupport.com Tobin will steer you in the Right direction. Can't go wrong with his video's and soft plastics.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Semi-beginner needing some help - 10/08/19 12:21 PM

OP I'm a little late but sounds like you're in the fish. Sometimes if you're catching some undersized trying fishing deeper. If you're using a soft plastic with a 1/8 oz jig head switch to a 1/4 oz and start bouncing it off the bottom. Sometimes the bigger fish are there but a little lower in the water column. Or maybe just a little further out in deeper water. Sometimes it's the little things you change that make the biggest differences.

Keep this in mind- you'll spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars and countless hours going fishing and getting frustrated. For a portion of that cost you can either get some Trout Support videos or you can email Tobin at troutsupport.com and let him know your situation. He can help I assure you and it will save you lots of time and money in the long run.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum