Texas Fishing Forum

Bladed jigs for redfish

Posted By: Lindsey

Bladed jigs for redfish - 08/22/19 04:13 AM

Has anybody ever tried this? Seems like the thump, flash, and ability to fish the bait slowly would draw a lot of strikes. I'm going to try this in the flats in late September.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Bladed jigs for redfish - 08/22/19 04:56 PM

Yep, they'll eat the paint off of it. Don't work well if there's a lot of floating grass though.
Posted By: ST1300

Re: Bladed jigs for redfish - 08/23/19 04:09 PM

Just bought some H&H #4 Blades to attach to my jig heads and will be trying this on 31st in Keith Lake. Then again on 1st in Calcasieu Lake.
Good Luck to you.
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Bladed jigs for redfish - 08/23/19 04:52 PM

Should work, but I haven't tried it. Redfish at times will eat a Jalapeno or a shotgun shell and lots of other weird and oddball stuff if given the chance. Just use a decent jig head with a forged carbon steel hook and a saltwater finish as a decent redfish will bend open with very little pressure some of the relatively soft hooks meant for LMB or Crappie. Some of the bronze finish hooks fall apart with minimal time getting saltwater exposure.
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: Bladed jigs for redfish - 08/23/19 10:04 PM

If it will draw a strike from a predatory fresh water fish it will draw a strike from a predatory salt water fish. And vice versa. As karstopo said, the only difference between the two venues is the hardware.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Bladed jigs for redfish - 09/12/19 03:32 AM

Reds will smash a chatterbait
Posted By: karstopo

Re: Bladed jigs for redfish - 09/12/19 09:31 AM

Redfish can get in moods, though, and flashy or noisy things can turn off the eat. Something like a DSL with its tiny paddle tail can turn on a bite when the showy lures aren’t productive.

Redfish can find and will eagerly inhale relatively tiny flies in murky water. I’ve eye witnessed redfish rejecting floppy paddle tails and tops, lures with lots of action, and then go for a more subdued fly pattern 1/3 the size and 5 percent the weight.

Sometimes, a whisper gets more accomplished than shouting.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum