Texas Fishing Forum

Measuring fish while wade fishing

Posted By: Lil joe

Measuring fish while wade fishing - 06/16/19 10:48 PM

I have tried the stick on measuring tape on my rods and marks on my rods but it’s difficult to juggle everything keeping my reel out of the water and trying to hang on to a flopping slippery fish while trying to hold it up to my rod and not lose the fish, especially when I’m in water chest high. There’s got to be a be better way that I haven’t found. I hate to put questionable fish in my basket and wait until I go back to the bank even though the fish do stay completely healthy in my basket most of the time
Posted By: Chuckybrown

Re: Measuring fish while wade fishing - 06/17/19 12:36 AM

Use fingernail polish to mark spots at 14, 15, 20, 27 28, etc (or wherever you want) according to the fish you chase.

Good luck!
Posted By: Texas Fight

Re: Measuring fish while wade fishing - 06/17/19 01:13 AM

Not me

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Measuring fish while wade fishing - 06/17/19 01:18 AM

https://www.mariner-sails.com/yak-gear-floating-fish-ruler-36.html
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Measuring fish while wade fishing - 06/17/19 11:52 AM

I've seen guys drag a measuring board or hog trough behind them but to me that's just one more thing to drag. One of the things I look for in buying rods is having the measurement marks already on the rod. It's easy to hold a fish up to the rod and see if he's legal. If it's close I'll throw it back.

I have never tried this but I have used Gorilla glue super glue as extra adhesion for stick on things like this and it works great. I'd bet it'd work on a rod too.

https://www.zoro.com/gorilla-glue-s...Tmrnw4gIVDWeGCh0PyAPbEAQYBCABEgIwPvD_BwE

The fingernail polish works good too I just don't have a steady enough hand to do even a decent job at applying it.
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: Measuring fish while wade fishing - 06/17/19 01:23 PM

Fingernail polish along the rod blank is my preference. Saves time fussing with backpacks and pockets and bags, and its better for the fish you do release because its faster.

Plus you'll never forget your measuring tape.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Measuring fish while wade fishing - 06/17/19 01:35 PM

I put a ring on my rod with colored electrical tape. Red tape at 20" and 28" to mark the slot for redfish, and blue tape at 15" and 25" to mark the slot for trout.

Most of the time you can tell with just a glance, and not even have to pull the fish out of the water. If it close enough that you actually have to pull the tail together to get the accurate measurement, then you aren't going to be able to do that wading anyway.
Posted By: K5RCD

Re: Measuring fish while wade fishing - 06/17/19 02:36 PM

Use a flexible sewing ruler. Inexpensive lasts a long time if rinsed off after saltwater exposure. Tie the far end to forceps, dehooker etc and the near end to your belt loop. It's always handy and convenient.

[img]https://www.amazon.com/Blisstime-Ta...;qid=1560781836&s=gateway&sr=8-9[/img]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum