Texas Fishing Forum

Port A and Corpus next weekend!!

Posted By: jasoniam

Port A and Corpus next weekend!! - 05/28/19 01:27 AM

OK...wanna make sure I'm not leaving anything out.....Taking family and 10 year old really wants to get on some fish, any fish, he don't care...lol...He is really new to fishing as he just caught the bug up in DFW banking, which sucks, but we still have fun.
Obviously rod and reels in tow (Penn Battle II combo 7'ML with 2500 series reel, and a St Croix Avid X 7' ML with a 2500 Shimano Stradic Ci'4 ). Ill be using a popping cork on 20lb braid, with 6-7ft 20# flouro leader with hopefully live shrimp on a #10 treble hook. Never been to Port A, know of a few piers, but that's about it, what should we be looking for? What other baits, or tactics should we come prepared with? Any other tips or suggestions is greatly appreciated!
Thanks guys!
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Port A and Corpus next weekend!! - 05/28/19 04:59 PM

Piers should work. If you want to wade there are numerous places along 361 (Newport Pass, Corpus Christi Pass, Fish Pass) that you can drive to and wade out a little and catch fish. Shrimp will work. Live croaker work better for trout. Soft plastics can also work (Trout Support Grasswalker or Gulp). Jetties can be good but take plenty of tackle.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Port A and Corpus next weekend!! - 05/29/19 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by jasoniam
OK...wanna make sure I'm not leaving anything out.....Taking family and 10 year old really wants to get on some fish, any fish, he don't care...lol...He is really new to fishing as he just caught the bug up in DFW banking, which sucks, but we still have fun.
Obviously rod and reels in tow (Penn Battle II combo 7'ML with 2500 series reel, and a St Croix Avid X 7' ML with a 2500 Shimano Stradic Ci'4 ). Ill be using a popping cork on 20lb braid, with 6-7ft 20# flouro leader with hopefully live shrimp on a #10 treble hook. Never been to Port A, know of a few piers, but that's about it, what should we be looking for? What other baits, or tactics should we come prepared with? Any other tips or suggestions is greatly appreciated!
Thanks guys!

I'd hit the Port Aransas south Jetty and fish a live shrimp under that popping cork. There are many fish to catch with that. I'll be down next week too. Send a fishing report.
Tim
Posted By: Lindsey

Re: Port A and Corpus next weekend!! - 05/30/19 06:12 AM

Live shrimp under a cork at Horace Caldwell Pier at night. If your kid can handle it, go at 1 am and stay till sunup. The crowds die off and the fishing is often red hot with few fishers around. Speck rigs and jigs work well too. Just find the right light and it's on. Either side. Also a sabiki rig will bring near constant action with the occasional keeper speck mixed in. You'll catch a lot of shad on the sabiki. Put a 1 oz sinker at the end.
Posted By: chpd207

Re: Port A and Corpus next weekend!! - 06/05/19 05:51 PM

Tag...headed down with the kiddos the end of July.
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Port A and Corpus next weekend!! - 06/09/19 09:46 PM

I was down there all week, just got back. Pretty much fished with live shrimp (freelined, or at the bottom) in the bays, limited out on reds and black drum. I was using livescope to find them. I've posted that video on the Saltwater reports section, linked below.

https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/13179568
Tim
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum