Texas Fishing Forum

Surf Fishing Guide

Posted By: TheFluke215

Surf Fishing Guide - 05/19/19 04:35 PM

I’ve been surf fishing for 20+ years. Basically started doing it because my grandpa left me with a lot of surf fishing rigs when he passed away in the 90’s. After learning the in’s and outs, it became basically an addiction. The surf is only an hour away from my house so I can go whenever. Over the years of being on this forum, I’ve noticed that starting in May, there’s a lot of surf fishing questions about rigs, bait and gear. I see that a lot of the people asking questions are just going down to the coast for vacation and really have no need in purchasing $1000 worth of gear for their 4 day vacation. So my question is: Is there a need for a surf fishing guide? Say I take 2-3 people with me, use all of my surf rods, shark rods, kayak, leaders, weights etc and the customer/s catch the fish. I could also give a day long tutorial of why I do what I do and why I use what I use. For those of you who have fished the surf a lot, you know there’s a lot of misconceptions about surf fishing. It’s not as easy as one would think. I figure if I could provide a service and provide it doing something I love and also passing on knowledge at the same time, then it could be worthwhile.
Let me know what you think. You’re not going to hurt my feelings, it’s just a epiphany at this point.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Surf Fishing Guide - 05/19/19 06:02 PM

I think that sounds like a good idea.
They go out for a few hours learn a lot, have a much higher chance of not only catching fish but nice fish.
And they do not have to go out and buy anything special.

Then there are others that would love the opportunity to accelerate their learning curve by going out with someone knowledgeable.

Hope it works out well for you.
Next time I make it down to Galveston, will have to look you up.

Re: Surf Fishing Guide - 05/19/19 06:12 PM

Thanks Ocelot. Send a message anytime you’re ready.
Posted By: parttime

Re: Surf Fishing Guide - 05/20/19 06:10 PM

I know there are a couple operating on PINS, I think it is a good idea, like you said, some people want to try it, but don't want or don't need to buy all the surf gear. I say go for it.
Posted By: Texas Fight

Re: Surf Fishing Guide - 05/20/19 06:31 PM

I actually never thought about it till now. It sounds like a good idea and as you said, there is deff a demand for it. Personally I think its more of a class than a guided experience. Alot of people book a fishing guide because they dont have a boat and time to constantly scout water.When a guys paying, he wants to be on fish. Calling it a class would guarantee the customer still received value regardless of catch rate.

Re: Surf Fishing Guide - 05/20/19 08:43 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I’ve put an ad on southeasttexas.com under fishing/charter services. I’ll see what happens I guess. I don’t do the Facebook so I’ll put an ad up on here as well. Word of mouth goes a long way so if y’all happen to know anyone interested, let me know. One more question, what do y’all consider a fair price? It’s hard for me to put a price tag on something that I’m extremely passionate about.
Posted By: FishyB

Re: Surf Fishing Guide - 05/21/19 03:05 PM

I have thought about this myself but have a few things holding me back.

Here are a few land based shark fishing links with rates; looks like it's somewhere in the range of $400 to $600 for 4 to 6 hours.

http://way2reelcharters.com/charter-rates/

http://captainbrant.com/rates-booking/

https://www.barrettrods.com/shark-fishing-charters
Posted By: coach51

Re: Surf Fishing Guide - 05/21/19 04:06 PM

Sending a PM--TheFluke 215
Posted By: BASSIC

Re: Surf Fishing Guide - 06/10/19 01:58 PM

Go for it !

if possible make the price reasonable that will help me and lots of people learn the sport and of course you will still make decent $$, just my .02
Posted By: FishyB

Re: Surf Fishing Guide - 06/11/19 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by BASSIC
Go for it !

if possible make the price reasonable that will help me and lots of people learn the sport and of course you will still make decent $$, just my .02

BASSIC, here is Cody's current pricing.
https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...shing-guide-class-rate-info#Post13164989
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum