Texas Fishing Forum

Help with: Fishing San Luis Pass area from shore

Posted By: BSHAW27

Help with: Fishing San Luis Pass area from shore - 02/01/18 09:40 PM

I am planning a summer vacation to the beach in early July and have been looking at houses to rent. We are considering a couple of houses in between Galveston and Surfside right near San Luis Pass and the ads say the fishing is great in this area. So simple question how do you fish from shore in this area? I usually fish freshwater from a boat so am not even sure where to start. Based on a couple of google searches it appears you want to fish with cut bait or shrimp thrown out as far as you can get with a heavy weight and set up the rods like you would catfishing from shore. But I assume there are some differences to consider. Any information on bait, equipment, strategy, etc... would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: Help with: Fishing San Luis Pass area from shore - 02/02/18 09:31 AM

Hi I am also planning a trip in April, and have fished SLP several times, but they now have warnings and are giving Tickets, if you are out in the water very far. it is a Very Risky area. the Tides, can take you in seconds. I believe you can still fish the area, but you cant wade out chest deep to throw and fish. I plan on casting from the bank, and working that way, unless I am told other wise. PS, great Crabbing in that area also...

Re: Help with: Fishing San Luis Pass area from shore - 02/02/18 06:28 PM

Thanks I did read about that online but think you can still fish from some areas on either side of the pass just not in the water directly facing the pass. Figured I would ask others when I got there where I should be.

Still looking for feedback on how to fish the area though.
Posted By: Pat Goff

Re: Help with: Fishing San Luis Pass area from shore - 02/02/18 07:49 PM

Expect little if you are thinking you can keep your feet dry and catch much. Not wanting to be a buzz kill but the action is in the various cuts and tide channels, which could be 100 yards from the bank.

Re: Help with: Fishing San Luis Pass area from shore - 02/03/18 04:40 AM

Not worried about keeping my feet dry but my understanding is no one is allowed to go in the water directly in the pass. I assume I will follow others lead when I get there if they fish from shore in that area or go around to the ocean or bay side and wade out to cast deeper. But I'm not sure what gear to bring and once I get there asking other anglers what they are using.
Posted By: Bullock24

Re: Help with: Fishing San Luis Pass area from shore - 02/19/18 08:59 PM

Look up breakaway tackle... he is located in corpus and can get you set up with a surf rod/reel and the rigging to accomplish the distance you need without getting your feet wet. His name is Nick Meyer

Re: Help with: Fishing San Luis Pass area from shore - 02/21/18 11:36 PM

Will do thanks for the helpful response.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum