Texas Fishing Forum

"trolling motor update required" on my Lowrance hds carbon units

Posted By: Mo

"trolling motor update required" on my Lowrance hds carbon units - 01/20/23 04:37 PM

So I get out on the lake and both my carbon units display this message. The message says to unplug the trolling motor for 5 seconds and then proceed with update. I do this and nothing happens , the message will not go away and all functions on the graph are disabled. Unplug and try again with same
result.

Any ideas on what is going on ?

TIA

Mo
Posted By: T Bird

Re: "trolling motor update required" on my Lowrance hds carbon units - 01/20/23 08:27 PM

Check which update you have installed. Newest Carbon update is 22.1

Push Pages Button

Select Settings

Select System

In the middle of the screen, scroll to the very bottom and Select “About”

Your units current software version will be displayed in upper left corner.

Re: "trolling motor update required" on my Lowrance hds carbon units - 01/20/23 10:53 PM

The units have been asking me to do updates , will try that this weekend ,

thanks

MO
Posted By: Larry Hutchens Lowrance Pro S

Re: "trolling motor update required" on my Lowrance hds carbon units - 01/21/23 03:01 AM

Do you have a ghost Trolling motor?
Posted By: Rowdy

Re: "trolling motor update required" on my Lowrance hds carbon units - 01/21/23 04:40 PM

Oh man on the lake and that, well that's less than handy for sure. I had one of my Lowrance units this past summer just go dark on me on the lake. Wasn't hot either. Messed with that darn thing for an hour before I ever did get it out of whatever it was doing. It was on too, just go back dark blank screen. These things are getting way to smart and the simplest thing goes weird and then your sunk.

Hope yours gets all sorted and quick...
Posted By: Larry Hutchens Lowrance Pro S

Re: "trolling motor update required" on my Lowrance hds carbon units - 01/21/23 07:41 PM

Make sure the backlight is turned all the way to full bright.

Re: "trolling motor update required" on my Lowrance hds carbon units - 01/23/23 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hutchens Lowrance Pro S

negative Xi5,

I called Lowrance support , they said the issue was with Motorguide , I called Motorguide , they said the issue was with Lowrance , and Lowrance was
aware of it. Apparently not the dude I spoke with. The lady at Motorguide told me to unplug the trolling motor , both Lowrance units , and the
power to the Nema network. Then repower in the following order . Trolling motor , lowrance units , and nema network.

This worked , hopefully it will keeping working.

MO
Posted By: HWV5

Re: "trolling motor update required" on my Lowrance hds carbon units - 01/23/23 10:45 PM

Had the same thing happen to me a year or so ago got the same response from both companies after hour on the phone with different ppl from Lowrance. Called Motor Guide back and thats what they told me to do, it was still working the last time I was out.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: "trolling motor update required" on my Lowrance hds carbon units - 01/23/23 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mo
Originally Posted by Larry Hutchens Lowrance Pro S

negative Xi5,

I called Lowrance support , they said the issue was with Motorguide , I called Motorguide , they said the issue was with Lowrance , and Lowrance was
aware of it. Apparently not the dude I spoke with. The lady at Motorguide told me to unplug the trolling motor , both Lowrance units , and the
power to the Nema network. Then repower in the following order . Trolling motor , lowrance units , and nema network.

This worked , hopefully it will keeping working.

MO

Glad she's working correctly for you. thumb

Re: "trolling motor update required" on my Lowrance hds carbon units - 01/24/23 02:12 PM

I hope so, but I printed the instructions and put it in the glove box for future reference.

MO
Posted By: wallyandre

Re: "trolling motor update required" on my Lowrance hds carbon units - 01/24/23 06:55 PM

If you didn't install the latest update for your Xi5 read those instructions and if your TM is within the one eleigible for the update I suggest that you do the update. I did it on mine has many others and it was a game changer:
https://www.motorguide.com/us/en/owners-resources/xi-software-updates.html

Re: "trolling motor update required" on my Lowrance hds carbon units - 01/24/23 08:51 PM

Wow , I can't believe neither representative mentioned this process. I will download this file and instructions , and have it on the boat if this issue re-appears.

thanks

MO
Posted By: wallyandre

Re: "trolling motor update required" on my Lowrance hds carbon units - 01/24/23 10:11 PM

Not only for this issue but if your TM sometimes play his own game and seems to have a defective brain the update cure all this. Mine run like day and night with the new update. I didn't have to install the 2nd update related to the question: update available because I didn't that after the update but some guys do so in that case you need to install the other update.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum