Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex 24v Doesn't Function

Posted By: wabash2015

Ultrex 24v Doesn't Function - 06/13/22 02:03 AM

Bought a Skeeter with an Ultrex w/ iPilot link 24v model on it. When I took it to the lake the blue power light comes on when I hit the power switch, but no other lights will turn on. The remote doesn't detect the trolling motor and the pedal is completely locked up. None of the buttons on the pedal or the head of the motor work.

I put my multi-meter to the foot control board and got a reading of 24 volts. I removed the power switch, cleaned it (it wasn't dirty) and tried re-securing the butt connectors but nothing will work except the blue power light. Crimping the on/off switch wires did not help.

I put my multi-meter on the butt connectors for the on/off switch and got a reading, so it's seeing power when the switch completes the circuit.

I'm at a total loss here. I went ahead and ordered a new power switch since those commonly stop working, but I can't figure out what the issue is and would prefer to fix it myself. The motor is no longer under warranty.

Hopefully someone on here has better ideas than me!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ultrex 24v Doesn't Function - 06/13/22 02:22 AM

The switch isn’t the problem. When the switch opens the circuit, the troller powers on. So, REMOVING the switch entirely would power up the trolling motor. So, basically, if the troller won’t turn off, the switch could help, cause closing the circuit (opposite of what you’d think the switch does) sends a “power off” signal to the board.

Sounds like a power issue. I know you metered the wiring and feel it’s good, but clean and check every connection. A bad connection can meter good, but it might fail immediately upon a larger current draw.

Good luck. Be methodical about the trouble shooting. You’ll figure it out.

Re: Ultrex 24v Doesn't Function - 06/13/22 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
The switch isn’t the problem. When the switch opens the circuit, the troller powers on. So, REMOVING the switch entirely would power up the trolling motor. So, basically, if the troller won’t turn off, the switch could help, cause closing the circuit (opposite of what you’d think the switch does) sends a “power off” signal to the board.

Sounds like a power issue. I know you metered the wiring and feel it’s good, but clean and check every connection. A bad connection can meter good, but it might fail immediately upon a larger current draw.

Good luck. Be methodical about the trouble shooting. You’ll figure it out.

The more I sit and think about it, the more I think it's some goofy power issue as well. I'll monkey around with it and report back with the fix.

Re: Ultrex 24v Doesn't Function - 06/14/22 02:18 AM

Update: The 50amp breaker on the jumper wire between my 12v batteries was the culprit. I'm ordering a replacement.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ultrex 24v Doesn't Function - 06/19/22 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by wabash2015
Update: The 50amp breaker on the jumper wire between my 12v batteries was the culprit. I'm ordering a replacement.

Glad you found the issue! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum