Texas Fishing Forum

Lowrance Active Target

Posted By: T.C.

Lowrance Active Target - 01/30/22 02:46 AM

In what position do you have your transducer mounted, Down, Forward or Scout, and why?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 01/30/22 03:32 AM

Forward, because that’s where I want to see. Down would fine if you wanted to see way behind the boat.

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 01/30/22 03:39 AM

Understood. All of the posts I read seem as though thats where folks are looking, just didn't know whether the transducer was mounted in forward or scout position...and lowrance gives no insight. Scout mode would give a wider perspective looking forward it seems but maybe not any depth information...just hoping some would share their thoughts. Thank you Grout.

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 01/30/22 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by T.C.
Understood. All of the posts I read seem as though thats where folks are looking, just didn't know whether the transducer was mounted in forward or scout position...and lowrance gives no insight. Scout mode would give a wider perspective looking forward it seems but maybe not any depth information...just hoping some would share their thoughts. Thank you Grout.

Scout/perspective seems to work better in shallower water. It kinda gets discombobulated in deep water. I can tell you that even on forward view, you can see about 20’ behind the boat (depending on water depth). Down view would show way behind you, which could be good in real deep water I guess.

The few times I used perspective mode (garmin), I was not impressed. It would show fish swimming around me and showed bait fish very well, but it was a challenge to really view. I have not tried scout mode on the AT yet, it might be better, not sure.
Do you have any specific questions, if so, I’ll attempt to answer them. I’m not a pro like some guys, but I have a pretty good handle on it.

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 01/30/22 03:10 PM

I can see where the down view would have it's time...jig or spoon fishing, deep, pretty much under the boat. It's good to know that with it mounted in the forward position, you can still see underfoot. Changing the position of the transducer often seems like a pain. I want to have it in the best position and not have to mess with it if possible. This graph is to be used solely for this purpose as I have other units showing maps and sonar, therefore the reasons for my inquiry. Thank you for the insight and the offer. Right now, these installation questions are all I can muster. Now to finish the installation and get time on the water with it. Thanks again Grout.

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 01/30/22 09:37 PM

thumb Here’s something that can help you learn it, really need a spotlock TM, so hopefully you have one. Go to a known tree/brush pile and spot lock on it. Get 20’-30’ from the tree/pile and practice casting at the tree. This will help to tell you if your transducer is point the right direction or wether you need to move it over a tad. Then practice watching your bait fall into the branches and working it back. Practice that for awhile and you’ll learn where to aim for when you see fish on the screen. Practice and more practice.

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 01/31/22 02:31 AM

Don't have that yet...wishful thinking. One upgrade at a time!
Posted By: Larry Hutchens Lowrance Pro S

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 01/31/22 02:47 AM

All three views are like Tools ea has its own use. The view you start to use you will mostly learn how it works and then move to the other so you know what options you have for what you are doing. I started with Forward for a month and then went to Down View and I kept throwing over the target and behind it so I was constanly getting snagged up crappie fishing. Then I realized what I was doing and decided for how I was fishing in 45 to 50 ft forward gave me the best view to understand the structure. So nobody knows how you fish and what you fish better than you. So spend some time with all the views so you know what tool you need for what job. The learning curve on Live Sonar is probably longer than anything else in the Marine Electronics world including Radar and Structure Scan. In the beginning you will be dealing with setup and making sure the install is correct and believe thier is more to this then most people believe. Better brush up on your geometry so your TM angle is exactly 90deg to the water as that has a huge Berring on range forward. I was on a guys boat this weekend and he could not see past 20 ft forward. So we check his minnkota and it was mounted and set back towards the rear of the boat 6 degs. So that shoots towards the bottom the transducer shorting your forward range. When you get it installed and tested out Lets us know what you find and maybe we can help you get on track. Have Fun

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 02/01/22 02:44 AM

Thanks Larry, will do. I understand what you are saying about the different uses. I have Structure Scan as well and understand it and I believe I can pick this up as well. I understand it is just another tool, and I look forward to working with it! I mounted it to the motor, so switching from down to forward will be easy but I expect it to be in forward alot of the time because that is where I want to look. I understand what you are saying about the angle of the TM shaft being important to forward vision as well but with the motor mounting, that will be easily adjusted as well. It will take some time to go to scout postition and adding the arm to the mount as well as rotating it on the motor....not an 'on the water' change. Thanks for your input again.

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 02/01/22 02:01 PM

Unless you have a Livescope the Active Target does all three positions on the same bracket and its very simple to go from Down Forward to Scout mode on the water. You don't need to spend a $100 for another bracket with Active Target.
Posted By: Mulejockey1

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 02/05/22 01:54 AM

Don’t mean to hijack thread but did Lowrance have a price increase on AT or have the prices just increased due to rebate?

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 02/05/22 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mulejockey1
Don’t mean to hijack thread but did Lowrance have a price increase on AT or have the prices just increased due to rebate?

They went up on everything early January, $150 on the AT. Someone said Garmin was going up soon too, as if we didn’t spend enough on our hobby.
Posted By: Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 02/05/22 04:34 PM

Extra cost in the supply chain issues as shipping is eating everyone's lunch.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 02/05/22 06:30 PM

Nah. Lowrance is just being opportunistic.
Posted By: Mulejockey1

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 02/05/22 08:03 PM

That extra $150 for old technology is going to hurt them. I’ve always been a Lowrance fan and planned to add AT before summer. Not anymore.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 02/06/22 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Hutchens Lowrance Pro S
Unless you have a Livescope the Active Target does all three positions on the same bracket and its very simple to go from Down Forward to Scout mode on the water. You don't need to spend a $100 for another bracket with Active Target.

+1 on the AT! But don`t you need that extra arm piece that comes in the box to use the Scout mode on your Transducer? Hmn I GUESS NOT. coolio I only use the Forward & Down modes for the type fishing that I do so I don`t use it. Changing from Forward to Down is simply a twist of the transducer for me. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 02/06/22 01:59 PM

^^but that would never work in a lake with thick grass/hydrilla.

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 02/06/22 02:23 PM

OK I did not see where your mount was on the motor head or I just missed it. So you are correct you have the arm in the kit. On the shaft mount all three are on the same bracket. More reason to get a Ghost. Sorry for the confusion.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Lowrance Active Target - 02/06/22 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
^^but that would never work in a lake with thick grass/hydrilla.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum