Texas Fishing Forum

new to electronics etc.

Posted By: olducker

new to electronics etc. - 10/27/21 10:12 PM

I recently was able to purchase a new/used skeeter. It had 7.5 hrs on it.. It came equipped with the dual hummingbird helix chirp. and live scope as well as spot lock trolling motor ultrex etc.
My problem is I haven't bought a boat since 1984. So this is a huge learning curve. I have spent considerable time on the internet watching the u tube how to set up etc. I am scheduled with Mr..Daughtry to set my stuff up on lake Fork. I apparently only get an hour of instruction and I am a little slow so we will see how this goes.. questions as follows..
(1) My live scope transducer is mounted along side my trolling motor shaft. You aim it with a cable you twist with a handle attachment. I am having a hard time knowing where I am pointing it. I did mark the top but it is still a bit confusing. I am considering remounting it with a separate shaft but my nose cone area is getting pretty crowded. Will I get used to this or is there a trick to identify where you are pointed?
(2) I can't tell if my trolling motor has been linked to my garmin..
(3) Truth is I am in over my head with this stuff. sigh, what screen set up do you generally use when traveling
Posted By: HookaToad

Re: new to electronics etc. - 10/28/21 12:43 AM

Don't stress...Slade will put your mind at ease and you will be amazed at what you learn in that hour. It will stick and not be overwhelming at all. You have already made a great choice that you will not regret.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: new to electronics etc. - 10/28/21 01:22 AM

its gonna take longer than an hour,..!!
Posted By: HookaToad

Re: new to electronics etc. - 10/28/21 03:44 PM

Okay I will clarify. You will learn a lot from Slade in an hour....but Jim Sr is correct...you won't learn all of it!! IMO you will never learn all of it but will learn more and more exponentially to more you are on the water and take time to experiment with them.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: new to electronics etc. - 10/28/21 11:16 PM

Here’s how to learn your livescope. Spotlock your trolling motor 30’- 50’ away from a tree, bridge piling, brush pile, whatever; but just make sure you can stay pointed directly at it. Tie on a fat bodied crankbait or something bulky and practice casting near your stationary object and reeling your bait slowly back in. When you figure out where to cast every time and can watch your bait on the screen coming back to the boat, you’ll eventually realize what to look for and where to cast.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: new to electronics etc. - 11/09/21 09:03 AM

just don't mess with the settings slade puts on your units and listen to what he says and you will be way ahead of the curve.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum