Texas Fishing Forum

Point-1 Issues

Posted By: Wormin

Point-1 Issues - 10/27/21 09:23 PM

I recently installed a point-1 for my HDS Gen 3 and I cannot figure out how to get the heading sensor to work. After many reads on multiple forums, I think I have narrowed down the issue. Does anyone know why "Vessel" is not showing up on my data sources? Both of my units are up to date and both do not show "vessel" which is where the heading sensor settings are located. Pic is below.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Point-1 Issues - 10/27/21 11:34 PM

Let’s back up here. Did you install a full nmea system? With the fuse and a power switch, T’s and terminators?

Re: Point-1 Issues - 10/28/21 01:32 AM

I did, but I figured out my NMEA is not be correct because I only used one terminal. Ordered another T and terminal to try and get that part worked out. Hopefully that fixed it. I’ll post my findings once I get the NMEA network fixed.

Re: Point-1 Issues - 10/30/21 02:54 AM

Alright, I am still having issues after correcting my NMEA network. Here is a diagram of the network. Both HDS units still do not show Vessel. Any ideas?

[Linked Image]

Re: Point-1 Issues - 10/30/21 03:07 AM

Did you power the nmea straight to a battery, needs a switch to turn it off & on. Just making sure you didn’t power it through the graphs nmea wires. Have a fuse and it’s good?

Also, using the all black fittings or did you use the red ones?

Re: Point-1 Issues - 10/30/21 04:01 AM

I tied into the power under the console terminal block which has a breaker at the battery. The original power that came with my kit had a female power which didn't work. I bought a new power T today at bass pro which looks like the below picture. I added a fuse to this prior to installing.

[Linked Image]

Re: Point-1 Issues - 10/30/21 11:40 AM

About the only thing I can think to try now, is to make sure all the fittings are snug and properly aligned. Sounds like a “duh” statement, but I know Garmins nmea and lowrances nmea have different angles that the fittings fit together at. Your diagram looks correct above though from what I remember.

Only other possible issue, could be the point1 itself. Could be bad or if it’s used, there were some made that only had the GPS receiver capabilities. Meaning that they could not be used for a heading sensor. I don’t know if a call to Lowrance, while holding the point1 in your hand could answer that.

Posted By: Larry Hutchens Lowrance Pro S

Re: Point-1 Issues - 10/30/21 09:25 PM

If you go to the Device List Does it show the Point 1 do you have any other NMEA devices on your Boat and do they show up on the device list? If not you still have back bone issues related to power which could be a bad cable or connection. When I run into this I have a spare Starter Kit and I run the cables accross the deck of the boat and try to disconnect one at a time and replace with the starter kit cable till I find the bad one.

Re: Point-1 Issues - 10/31/21 02:56 AM

Larry,

Point 1 does show up in device list. I can go to satellites under system settings and the point 1 shows it connecting to many of them with a accuracy of 11ft.

Re: Point-1 Issues - 10/31/21 03:00 AM

grout-scout, I really appreciate your input on this. Thank you. All connections were checked. After reviewing the below forum post, I believe that my point 1 is bad. Btw, this is a brand new point 1. I will follow up with Lowrance.

Point1 Issues

Re: Point-1 Issues - 10/31/21 06:23 AM

What Software version is on your Point 1?

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/01/21 09:04 PM

Software Ver - 1.6.00.00

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/01/21 10:49 PM

This may explain your issue. The latest update for a Point 1 is V1.4 , I suspect you don't have a point 1 you are dealing with. So I will look around and see what has a 1.6 ver.

Also the latest version of the point1/ 1.4 they have changed the software to turn on or off heading sensor by putting a 1 in the instance setting to turn ON the Heading sensor. You might check your instance for your point 1 and if its set to zero change it to 1 and see if it turns it on and your vessel comes on. You may have to reboot your nmea network first.

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/03/21 01:43 AM

Pics below. Instance is 000. I will try and change it to 001 and see if that works.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/03/21 02:31 AM

Man this is odd, where did you buy the point1? I tried to browse for some with that 1.6 software and couldn’t find anything. I’m intrigued by this situation.

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/03/21 02:38 AM

https://www.powersportsid.com/pci-r...rk3m5U0FwKV3G2dUqPv7QJH-QGgaAjoYEALw_wcB

Btw, one of the only places they had in stock. Most are backordered.

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/03/21 04:07 AM

Bass Pro Garland and Cabela's Allen had them in stock as of 2 wks ago. I would call ahead first to make sure then ask them to hold for 24hrs with your name.

I also noticed its uncalibrated have you tried to calibrate your Pt 1?

Will be in BP Garland Sat and Cabelas Allen Sun if you need help

Larry

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/03/21 04:12 AM

thumb Maybe Mr. Hutchens can get some clarity from Lowrance on that model. I didn’t realize that they were even backordered, this backlog is a mess.

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/03/21 03:08 PM

I have tried calibrating but I do not get a heading or rate of return reading. I think because the heading is not showing up. I am still going to try the instance setting next.

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/03/21 04:05 PM

Ok Just got off the phone with Tech Support and what you have is a Point 1 Baja which is discontinued. Point 1 mfg after March 1 2021 have 1.6 software. Its not on the Lowrance Download site yet.. So I would look at the Local Field Percent its 0 which means you do not have it calibrated the sweet spot for that field number is 1-15%.

So These are the steps I would take

Calibrate your Point 1 get a Local Field % 1-15

I am suspect that your HDS cannot detect the heading Sensor until its calibrated. Once Detected then the data source should show up.

Set Vessel Data Sources.

Let us know if that fixes it
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/03/21 04:43 PM

I would take it to David at Shut Up and Fish In Lewisville.
He is amazing on installs and setup.
Also sells the units

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/04/21 03:20 AM

First off.. Larry and all others thank you so much. You have expressed an interest above and beyond. The HDS does not see Vessel so I cannot configure the heading. When I try to calibrate the heading or rate or turn they never shows a value. I am not quite understanding your comment about Low Field Percent. I don't know what that means.

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/04/21 03:33 AM

OK I have seen Shut Up many times on the forum but cannot find a post to DM him/her. I also live in Lewisville and would love to figure this out.

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/04/21 03:47 AM

Local Field % is the rating of your Calibration when its Zero it has no Calibration 1-15% is normal calibration. To Clarify why your HDS does not show Vessel In most situations it only shows up when thier is a device that has a compass or heading sensor. In the point ones case it does not show up until you get a calibration completed even if its being pulled off my magnetic interfearance you can still get some kind of Calibration done even thought its not perfect or working correctly. IN your case you have Zero Calibration so its either your Point 1 is defective . Too bad you cannot take your Pt 1 and connect it to a buddies Nmea and see if it calibrates and works. That would eliminate that part of it as the issue.

When you calibrate are you using the calibration wizard in the HDS???

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/08/21 06:44 PM

Received RMA from Lowrance and sent it in for repair/replacement. Instructions said 7-10 days for repair so we will see what happends.

Thank you all for your help. I will post an update once I get some more information.

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/24/21 02:35 AM

Replacement received from Lowrance and all is good. I wish I would have sent it back earlier vs trying to fix my backbone. The Baja point 1 kit leaves a lot to figure out. The Baja kit comes with a power adapter that has a female end an one male terminator. This threw me off to buy another $100 worth of accessories. I feel like there is more than one way to skin the cat when it comes to the NMEA network There is a typical diagram for your backbone shows all devices come off the bottom of the "T", but that is not always the case. This is where I thought the problem was and bought a new power cable and female terimator0. I believe the Baja kit would have worked with the power coming out the end connector if I had a working Point 1. If my point 1 was good from the start I would have saved a bunch on money.

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/24/21 02:51 AM

Thanks for the update, might help someone else some day.

Re: Point-1 Issues - 11/25/21 03:01 AM

Glad you got it working. Its Rare to have an issue with a Point 1 .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum