Texas Fishing Forum

Question for the Waynster

Posted By: Tiltman

Question for the Waynster - 07/27/21 04:37 PM

Fairly new Helix 12 GEN 4 on the bow

with the high speed point one type antenna on it , often my map is off 180. So at times looking at at brush pile if I went the way my map was oriented I would go away from pile. Obviously I know that its flipped so I re boot it and its fine for a while. Any ideas on what it could be ?

I am always set on heading up so map rotates as I move and point in various directions
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Question for the Waynster - 07/27/21 05:25 PM

The AS GPS HS has a Heading Sensor (compass). It is affected by ferrous metals, magnets, and high current.

Proper testing with a compass BEFORE installing the antenna will prevent what you are getting IF the heading sensor is functioning properly.
That proper testing includes operating the outboard and trolling motor to see if high outboard charging current or high amp use by the trolling motor creates the electro-magnet effect--depending on the antenna location.
I used to have my AS GPS HS at the bow and if the trolling motor power/steering cable got close to the antenna, it would screw up heading with the trolling motor operating.

Re: Question for the Waynster - 07/28/21 12:25 AM

Gotcha , I will evaluate, may swap ultrex heading sensor and bird antenna positions to see if that fixes it

Re: Question for the Waynster - 07/28/21 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tiltman
Gotcha , I will evaluate, may swap ultrex heading sensor and bird antenna positions to see if that fixes it

Do you have iPilot LINK?

Re: Question for the Waynster - 07/28/21 04:23 PM

yes sir

Re: Question for the Waynster - 07/28/21 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tiltman
yes sir

Here's your sign---

[Linked Image]

Re: Question for the Waynster - 07/29/21 07:39 PM