Texas Fishing Forum

Looking for a someone to teach me how to better read my Helix 7

Posted By: z289sec

Looking for a someone to teach me how to better read my Helix 7 - 08/24/20 11:34 PM

Anyone kind of the go to guy on the Fort Worth side for helping a guy figure out side and down imaging for finding fish? I have a Helix 7, and may just need a bigger unit/screen. I can find and mark fish on the 2D Sonar, but cant ever seem to find anything on the down, and the side. Could be settings related, don't know. I see all these pics of nearly crystal clear images on down and side, and mine just produces nothing even remotely close to that. Hell, I can barely even see structure on anything but 2D.

I have leveled the transducer, in relation to the boat at 3 to 4 mph, which helped with the 2D sonar a lot. I have watched some of the tips and tricks videos which are supposed to really make the imaging better on the Helix series, but I can't see where it made any difference at all, as far as finding fish or determining structure. I can see bridge supports, but other than that, rarely see anything.

Willing to pay for the help, not expecting a freebie, just don't know who to seek out. It is a Mega unit, side and down, with GPS.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Looking for a someone to teach me how to better read my Helix 7 - 08/25/20 09:41 PM

Im in the same boat, still trying to figure mine out, but I do have some things to try as soon as I can.
Posted By: TritonRob

Re: Looking for a someone to teach me how to better read my Helix 7 - 08/27/20 11:38 AM

I'm in the same boat also. I've two Helix 10's on my boat but am just having a hard time learning to use them to catch fish.
Posted By: TomRom

Re: Looking for a someone to teach me how to better read my Helix 7 - 08/27/20 07:05 PM

I have Garmin's so I can't help you on how your unit operates. But there are a ton of videos and I know Garmin has "how to" videos on their site. So I would start checking there.
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Looking for a someone to teach me how to better read my Helix 7 - 08/27/20 10:21 PM

Z289 I sent you a message .
Posted By: Bass Boat Wired

Re: Looking for a someone to teach me how to better read my Helix 7 - 08/28/20 07:20 PM

I can help and I am located in Azle west of FW. I can meet you at any of the near by lakes one evening.
Posted By: Fishinchristian

Re: Looking for a someone to teach me how to better read my Helix 7 - 08/31/20 03:33 PM

you should go see slade daugherty at lake fork if you want someone to show you how to work those Bird's its worth the money you spend
Posted By: ntxlandman

Re: Looking for a someone to teach me how to better read my Helix 7 - 09/07/20 12:52 PM

I just did a trip with Bob Maindelle to do that exact thing.....I would HIGHLY recommend the short trip down I35 to go see him.

It is amazing what a little knowledge about soanar, coupled with having it dialed in will do.
Posted By: Drycreek3189

Re: Looking for a someone to teach me how to better read my Helix 7 - 09/10/20 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by DarrellSimpson
Z289 I sent you a message .

Z289, Darrell helped me immensely by giving me some settings for my Helix 7. Night and day difference from what I was seeing.
Posted By: justchillin

Re: Looking for a someone to teach me how to better read my Helix 7 - 09/10/20 10:04 PM

Drycreek3189, I have a Helix 7 as well. Could you post those settings you were given by any chance ? Thank You.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum