Texas Fishing Forum

Map Chip

Posted By: TGL

Map Chip - 07/24/20 03:16 PM

My Navionics subscription expires soon. I've been using Navionics for beaucoup years and am wondering if maybe there is a better mapping chip available. I really like the depth shading capabilities of CMap. Unfortunately I've not upgrated to Lowrance Live units yet. Still running Carbons so the new CMap Contour + is not an option as I understand it.

Appreciate any feedback good/bad to help me decide whether to renew Navionics or try something new.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Map Chip - 07/24/20 03:27 PM

Not sure which chip you have but some of the new Navionics chips have shading and satellite view. They can not update this to an old chip but you can use your old chip for credit online and they will mail a new one to you with a 1 year subscription included for a large discount. I have not compared to CMap but the shading and satellite view are way better than the old chip.

Re: Map Chip - 07/24/20 03:47 PM

Thanks bronco71. My current chip is 1 yr old. I can get some basic shading with the Navionics but not the color coded shading of various depth ranges such as what CMap offers. Haven't tried the Satellite view yet thought. Will give that a look. Thanks again !
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: Map Chip - 07/24/20 06:04 PM

I bought a new boat and the graph came with a CMap. The CMap is not good at all for the central Texas lakes I fish. It didn’t even have lake Granbury on the map. Navionics is a much better chip for me. I
Posted By: Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff

Re: Map Chip - 07/24/20 07:42 PM

I personally have always liked & used Navionics. I do find myself using the new CMAP Contour+ that only works with LIVE units. Hard to beat Navionics, but the new CMAP Contour Plus does bring a new player to this ballpark.

Re: Map Chip - 07/24/20 08:48 PM

Thanks for the responses everyone !! I guess I'll stick with my Navionics subscription then. Was just wondering if there was something out there (like CMap) that might have an edge on the technology or features.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum