Texas Fishing Forum

HDS 7 won’t power up properly?

Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

HDS 7 won’t power up properly? - 06/06/20 02:53 PM

After installing Ultrex, the graph won’t fire up. Anyone have a suggestion? Thank you.

Posted By: honey hole

Re: HDS 7 won’t power up properly? - 06/06/20 07:57 PM

Check voltage and connections at the back of the graph. Assuming no wires got pulled or any screws through them on the ultrex install...

Re: HDS 7 won’t power up properly? - 06/07/20 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by honey hole
Check voltage and connections at the back of the graph. Assuming no wires got pulled or any screws through them on the ultrex install...

Thanks. Was connected by a boat dealership. Just don’t understand what went wrong.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: HDS 7 won’t power up properly? - 06/07/20 06:59 AM

If the unit appears "dead as a door-nail" then I suspect they may have inadvertently caused a brief short on some exposed terminals when they had the bow open to install the TM. This would typically blow a fuse, but not usually one in-line with the power cord. That power cord ties into power somewhere at the front panel, and that's where a brief short can happen. The fuse/breaker could be at the console, or at the battery under the back deck. Start checking for tripped breakers (if that's what you have) or blown fuses.

Re: HDS 7 won’t power up properly? - 06/08/20 11:46 AM

Thanks. It’s not dead. It comes on and flickers LOWRANCE on and off. I can’t turn that off with the power button. I have to unplug the unit. Didn’t start until after the Ultrex install.Maybe taking it back to the dealer.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: HDS 7 won’t power up properly? - 06/08/20 05:42 PM

yep, take it back, sounds like you now have a bad power connection (probably just knocked a wire loose)
Posted By: bronco71

Re: HDS 7 won’t power up properly? - 06/08/20 06:46 PM

You can bring it to my house and we can put it on my boat to see if it powers up ok, if so you will know it is the wiring....

Re: HDS 7 won’t power up properly? - 06/09/20 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by bronco71
You can bring it to my house and we can put it on my boat to see if it powers up ok, if so you will know it is the wiring....

Awesome offer! I’ll pm you.

Re: HDS 7 won’t power up properly? - 06/11/20 12:52 AM

BIG THANKS to Bronco71 that lives about 3 miles from me. We hooked up the HDS7 worked like a charm, so I definitely have a wiring issue on the boat. We also resolved a screen brightness issue with the Elite unit. I got a chance to meet a fellow TFFer, too. Thanks Dave!!

Re: HDS 7 won’t power up properly? - 06/11/20 01:29 AM

thumb

Re: HDS 7 won’t power up properly? - 06/11/20 01:59 AM

Take a look at the power cord connection to your boat inside the bow. ONLY TWO wires in the power cord should be connected - red & black - unless you have another Lowrance accessory such as a sidescan box to power up automatically when you turn that unit on, which uses the yellow wire to send a signal to the accessory. If any others are connected, cut them.

Re: HDS 7 won’t power up properly? - 06/11/20 02:11 AM

There used to be 12/24v at the bow to the trolling motor, when the shop installed the 24v Ultrex they ran straight 24v to the trolling motor. We are guessing that the Lowrance was getting power from that wiring and so was hooked to 24v and was freaking out. He is going to check the voltage and make sure that it is connected to 12v. Luckily the unit is fine.

Re: HDS 7 won’t power up properly? - 06/11/20 03:26 AM

Wiring a graph to a TM battery usually asks for trouble with "dirty" power (noise caused by the digital pulse modulation that controls the speed of the trolling motor, along with spikes and resonance from the TM itself). If you do it, make sure you get power from the battery that has the negative for the TM attached to it - never the second battery of a 24V system.

Re: HDS 7 won’t power up properly? - 06/11/20 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
Wiring a graph to a TM battery usually asks for trouble with "dirty" power (noise caused by the digital pulse modulation that controls the speed of the trolling motor, along with spikes and resonance from the TM itself). If you do it, make sure you get power from the battery that has the negative for the TM attached to it - never the second battery of a 24V system.

Good info. Thank you.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum