Texas Fishing Forum

Upgrade graphs??? Looking for ideas....

Posted By: ~Moose~

Upgrade graphs??? Looking for ideas.... - 05/28/20 06:02 PM

Currently have a Gen 1 HDS 8 in the console and HDS 5 at the bow with Structure Scan and LSS1 transducer. They are networked and this is part of my frustration, I have nothing showing me any information from the front of the boat. The HDS 5 is showing me the same thing the 8 does with info from the transom. They are also both obviously a little outdated. I am running an Ultrex and I believe it has the US2 transducer. Any options or ideas that dont require a second mortgage?

Attached picture HDS8.jpg
Attached picture HDS5.jpg
Posted By: Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff

Re: Upgrade graphs??? Looking for ideas.... - 05/28/20 10:07 PM

Wow, those units lasted a long time. You can keep some of what you have in place in regards to Sonar Transducers and Power Cables along with NMEA network if you stay with Lowrance. I will send you a PM if you would like to talk. I do not sell anything, but do know the product line well.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Upgrade graphs??? Looking for ideas.... - 05/29/20 02:50 AM

While newer will have higher performance and more vivid displays, your current units are not why you have no info showing from the bow. You have to properly configure the unit at the bow for that, and that will be exactly the same with any newer unit. When you get new units, read the manuals. Then read them again. Then study them a while. Then configure the front unit for "local sonar" and you'll have info from the front (assuming you have a bow transducer connected). In fact, you could do that with what you already have!
Posted By: ~Moose~

Re: Upgrade graphs??? Looking for ideas.... - 05/29/20 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out
While newer will have higher performance and more vivid displays, your current units are not why you have no info showing from the bow. You have to properly configure the unit at the bow for that, and that will be exactly the same with any newer unit. When you get new units, read the manuals. Then read them again. Then study them a while. Then configure the front unit for "local sonar" and you'll have info from the front (assuming you have a bow transducer connected). In fact, you could do that with what you already have!

I should have been more clear. I have no bow transducer connected. In fact, I only learned today that the built in US2 transducer in the Ultrex can be used with Lowrance graphs, although I believe I need an adapter cable. However, Im not sure this old HDS 5 will give me the performance I am looking for for a bow mounted graph.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Upgrade graphs??? Looking for ideas.... - 05/29/20 03:07 PM

switch to birds since you have the ultrex, kiss prinicple in play.

I just went from birds to garmin for the tm and panoptix livescope (have yet to get the livescope) and really like the set up.

either way be ready to sell your children, mortgage the house, kidnap the Lindbergh baby and rob fort knox to pay for it.

retail on my 2 93sv plus and the 57" was enough to buy a decent used 18' boat, amazing what this stuff costs now.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum