Texas Fishing Forum

Transducer Placement

Posted By: ShinerInTx

Transducer Placement - 01/08/20 07:36 PM

I’m looking for some help on placement of the transducer on my Mako Pro Skiff 17.

The Humminbird manual recommends to place the transducer on the starboard side away from the prop and areas which may cause turbulence. But, I’ve also read from reliable sources the best placement for side imaging is to get as close to the drainhole as possible. I don’t believe mounting close to the drain will allow me to see depth while on plane, and I can live with that. I was all ready to mount in the center/starboard of the transom, and my dad mentioned that I better check and make sure the motor won’t be in conflict. Lowering the motor all the way down and turning motor completely, I can still get about 1.5” clearance, but I have to move the transducer over closer to the “channel” in the hull. I don’t see operating the boat with the motor in that position very often (motor so far down its past perpendicular and turned completely), but I’d prefer more clearance anyway.

The other option is to move the transducer over to the starboard side, which because of my hull, would require I construct an “angled block” to account for an angle on the transom here. I have a piece of starboard I can cut in a miter saw to probably make this work. I’m also somewhat concerned the transducer won’t be out past some of the other stuff on the transom now (filter intake, etc), and I don’t want one side of the sidescan blocked. And the boat strap makes another obstacle.

I’ll post some pictures below to reference. What would you do?

Re: Transducer Placement - 01/08/20 07:40 PM

General pics

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Transducer Placement - 01/08/20 07:46 PM

Pics if mounted in center

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pics if mounted on Starboard side

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Transducer Placement - 01/08/20 09:19 PM

The transducer looks like a MEGA SI+ for a Helix G3N or SOLIX G2.

Number one thing is it has to have water contact when on plane to give you a depth reading.
Number two thing is the SI pulses have to "see" left and right when at idle speed scanning.

The last picture will work IF you have the face just below the hull bottom just in front of it as the instructions state.
Same for the pictures where you are holding it to far above the hull bottom nearer the outboard. In that position you just need to make sure the lower unit does not contact it when trimmed all the way down.

Since you don't have a jackplate, you will have to trim out the outboard quite a bit when scanning to get side clearance for the left side SI pulse.

Re: Transducer Placement - 01/13/20 08:49 PM

Thanks wayne.
Posted By: NELA Bassguy

Re: Transducer Placement - 01/28/20 07:03 PM

You can play with how much you will have to trim. When you start seeing a difference between your right and left side is when you will have to start trimming up a little because it will only effect the picture on the left side of your boat. On my aluminum boat with no jack plate, I don't have to trim up nearly as much as I thought I would.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum