Texas Fishing Forum

Purchasing a new fish finder

Posted By: James2011

Purchasing a new fish finder - 12/02/19 12:03 AM

Background info: 2019 tracker panfish boat, lake fork. Thinking of purchasing this unit Lowrance HOOK2 5 TripleShot US Inland Maps Fishfinder/Chartplotter Combo.

Needs: down imaging, card slot, easy setup, GPS, waypoint storage, ability to load the boatlanes software, preferably priced for less than $700.
Will this unit fit my bill? Any other options?

What is the difference between GPS vs. Chartplotter? Will the chartplotter get me to a waypoint and back to the dock?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff

Re: Purchasing a new fish finder - 12/02/19 01:45 PM

The Hook2 units are good product for the money. If you want to be able to bring up a map of the lake you are on & have a card slot, stay away from the 'x' models (7x does have a card slot). The 'x' models will allow you to mark weigh-points and trails on a white screed called a plotter. You will not have a card slot on the 5x version, however the 7x does have a card slot. All the HOOK2 units without the 'x' have a card slot so you can load boat lanes. The HOOK2-5 Triple Shot will provide all you have ask for in your post.
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Purchasing a new fish finder - 12/03/19 04:46 AM

I think you can get a Humminbird Helix 7 with side imaging for about $600.

Wayne
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Purchasing a new fish finder - 12/16/19 09:34 PM

If you go with a humminbird helix 7 try to get GN3 as well as mega . I bought old stock GN2 non mega SI for a great price but the mega sure does look better on the SI .
Posted By: James2011

Re: Purchasing a new fish finder - 12/29/19 11:30 PM

Well I couldn't help myself, I got a lowrance elite 9 ts2 and a gimbal mount.
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Purchasing a new fish finder - 01/26/20 02:04 PM

Bigger is almost always better.

How's it working for you?

Wayne
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum