Texas Fishing Forum

Helix units shutting down on plane

Posted By: AvaryJ

Helix units shutting down on plane - 11/20/19 08:05 PM

Has anyone experienced your helix units shutting down while on plane? They just shut off and the boat is not even in rough water.
Posted By: Dayne

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 11/20/19 08:48 PM

Sounds like loose connections to me.

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 11/21/19 06:08 AM

I just checked them and they seemed fine but I'm going to reconnect them.
Posted By: Bentman63

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 11/21/19 01:19 PM

mine does that occasionally..,and my hill graph I cant even use because it just flashes. I know my problem is that the person who owned the boat before me used too thin of a wire .I need 14 gauge wire for both of them. I just suck at wiring and haven't attempted it yet
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 11/21/19 01:52 PM

I would use 10 gauge wire directly to battery with a fuse closest to battery. Check collector makes sure making good contact to pins. Also check for any loose connections at the battery.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 11/21/19 06:12 PM

rewired all mine with 10 ga never another issue, use star lock washers on terminals and double hex nuts on battery connections, also check voltage to if low could do it been there also.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 11/22/19 02:33 AM

Is it wired all the way back to the battery or did it get tied into existing wiring harness. The proper way is all the way to the battery. If it is wired into your harness, there could be a loose connection somewhere and the wiring probably isn't the proper gauge wire for it and you aren't getting enough voltage for it so any vibrations when running can cause it to lose juice and power off. Also, which type of connector does it have on the back of the unit. Some of the older connectors need to be tweaked a bit to get a good connection even though they appear to be tight.
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 11/22/19 03:04 AM

Mine was doing it. I put some corrosion protection grease on the plugs in the back of the graph and it stopped doing it. I narrowed it down to the plug before I did the grease thing.

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 11/23/19 12:10 AM

Good info. I've got 2 of the Helix 10s at the console and they both do it at the same time. Will run the 10 guage and see what happens. Thanks guys!
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 11/27/19 07:42 AM

Mine does it time to time in any kind of water conditions. Humminbird has replaced my cable collector and it still does it. So my next step is to send the unit back and see what the issue is?
Posted By: STING'UM

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 11/28/19 02:56 AM

Mine was simply because the plugs were loose. I used/wrapped Teflon tape on the male power side around the post to take up any slack between the two connections.
Posted By: katjim

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 11/29/19 06:04 PM

Like stated usually a connection issue. I have a 2001 Skeeter with a 10 mega mounted on the console. I am wired to existing 19 year wiring a no issues. I would check all the connections before running new wire directly to the battery. If that does not fix it then it might be an internal issue
Posted By: MCIPinkie

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 12/02/19 11:38 PM

It's virtually certain a connection issue. I'd strip everything and run new wires from the battery before I'd squander a bunch of money sending anything to Eufala.

Don't know what kind of boat you have, but that's normally an easy wiring job. I've rewired all 4 of mine.

Don't know that I'd use 10 ga. A lot of wire for very few amps but go ahead if you have it. Other than hard to work with, won't hurt anything. 14 or 12 should be enough unless you're running a 30' boat.

Get good wire, good lugs, install properly, and I'll bet your problem goes away.

Shoot some cleaner on the posts in the cable collector. Good maintenance anyway.

GO FISHING !!
Posted By: lurenthewind

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 12/03/19 04:43 AM

Have you checked the software is updates?

Wayne
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 12/04/19 11:23 PM

All my updates have been done, all power wires have been run to the cranking battery. I may try to spread the pins to see if I get a tighter fit...
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 12/04/19 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Keenan
All my updates have been done, all power wires have been run to the cranking battery. I may try to spread the pins to see if I get a tighter fit...

Also make sure you have enough slack in the cables between the cable collector and where your cables leave the deck/console so vibration won't pull the plugs loose.
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 12/04/19 11:45 PM

I had this problem after doing all the stated and it was in the cable collector. Is it mounted where you can reach and wiggle it while running? Took mine apart and tightened up the cables inside and fixed it.

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 12/15/19 11:35 PM

I've run 8 guage from the cranking battery to the console. Everything looks good. Just got a new G3N in the mail so I'll install it tonight and see what happens on the lake tomorrow if the wind isn't too bad.

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 12/28/19 11:34 AM

Looks like everything is good now. Hit some rough waves at 65mph and no shut down.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 01/01/20 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by 8upwithfishin'
I had this problem after doing all the stated and it was in the cable collector. Is it mounted where you can reach and wiggle it while running? Took mine apart and tightened up the cables inside and fixed it.

I had the same problem. There were some Helix 10's that had a problem with the case breaking where the collector snapped in. I found a thread on FB that covered it and got mine fixed. Another time it was not snapped in 100%, I took a screwdriver and used it against my bracket to make sure they were snug.
Posted By: plk1122

Re: Helix units shutting down on plane - 02/03/20 05:30 PM

Would a smaller wire effect how the graph works/displays? I have a new to me helix 9 with mega SI, the pictures look kind of grainy/block like (like a early game arcade). Its new to me so i'm still messing with the settings, someone told me it could be a processor issue. However, the inline fuse I used I believe has 14 gauge wire on it, this is attached to 12 gauge that runs to the unit.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum