Texas Fishing Forum

Need a Lowrance guru...

Posted By: bush hog

Need a Lowrance guru... - 08/25/19 01:48 AM

Just installed a HDS 7 Carbon with a TotalScan transducer mounted on the trolling mtr. Took it to the lake today for a test and do not have sonar (just a white screen). The TotalScan does have sonar capabilities doesn't it? Took awhile to get the down and sidescan working but the scroll speed is really slow. Any ideas on the sonar? I tried re-booting and set everything back to default (that's how I finally got the structure scan to work). The trolling motor has a universal sonar transducer built in but I left in unplugged on the back of the unit since I installed the TotalScan. The totalscan covers the universal transducer anyway. Any thoughts?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Need a Lowrance guru... - 08/26/19 01:56 AM

Edit: answered below. flehan
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Need a Lowrance guru... - 08/26/19 01:07 PM

Make sure the total scan transducer is selected in the sonar menu.
Posted By: Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff

Re: Need a Lowrance guru... - 08/26/19 01:18 PM

Agree with all the above suggestions. Assume Total Scan is plugged into Black Connector - Channel-2. That needs to be turned on and the Total Scan Installed under sonar transducer selection.
For Total Scan transducer installation - PAGES / SETTINGS / SONAR / INSTALLATION / Select Total Scan. I will send you a PM to call me and we can walk through the unit together over the phone.
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Need a Lowrance guru... - 08/27/19 02:35 AM

there is a youtube video that shows you click by click. Also, re the carbon, is it better than a HDS or HDS live ?
Posted By: Rob Jasper Lowrance Pro-Staff

Re: Need a Lowrance guru... - 08/27/19 01:00 PM

The Carbon unit is a great unit and will take and do most of the things the new LIVE unit offers. The Carbon is an upgrade compared to the HDS Gen-2 & Gen-3 models. The LIVE replaced the Carbon and offers a couple of things over the Carbon. The Carbon or LIVE hooked up with the Active Imaging transducer is best thing on the market at this time. Your Total Scan ducer is good, but the side-imaging on the Active Imaging is better. FYI - you need to run your Total Scan in 455KHZ and if you ever go to Active Imaging ducer, you will run it in 800-KHZ.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Need a Lowrance guru... - 08/29/19 01:26 AM

The carbon has a really nice clear picture. I didn't think I'd care for downscan on the trolling mtr but I kind of like it. I can see the fish now......just can't get em to bite!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Need a Lowrance guru... - 08/29/19 02:46 AM

DI is great on the trolling motor, this would just be blobs on 2d sonar.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum