Texas Fishing Forum

Leaving fish finders outdoors

Posted By: BSHAW27

Leaving fish finders outdoors - 09/08/18 11:24 PM

Does anyone leaves their fishfinders outside in the Texas heat? I know people install them flush mount on the console of some boats so I assume if they do outdoor storage they have to leave them on the boat. I store my boat outside under a tarp but always take my fishfinders off because I assume the heat here in Texas would not be good for them. But taking them on and off the boat every trip is a pain. Just curious what others are doing with their untis.
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: Leaving fish finders outdoors - 09/09/18 12:33 AM

Had a friend who left his boat and depth finder uncovered outside and I was amazed it worked for years with no problem. If I did it would not work for 30 minutes but his did.
Johnny
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Leaving fish finders outdoors - 09/09/18 01:55 AM

Mine stays outside 24/7. Under a boat cover and now under a carport . Never had an issue.
Posted By: rebait

Re: Leaving fish finders outdoors - 09/10/18 01:19 AM

Ditto with Bobby. Used to take off and messed up the connectors.
Posted By: cwil

Re: Leaving fish finders outdoors - 09/10/18 01:27 PM

How do you secure them for possible thieves? I don’t like removing them every time, but wouldn’t want them to be easily swiped.
Posted By: BSHAW27

Re: Leaving fish finders outdoors - 09/10/18 10:42 PM

Originally Posted By: cwil
How do you secure them for possible thieves? I don’t like removing them every time, but wouldn’t want them to be easily swiped.

I am definitely concerned with this as well but figured I might leave my cheaper Helix 7 attached and take off my Helix 9 and put it in a lockable compartment on the boat. At least I wouldn't have to carry them back and forth all the time.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Leaving fish finders outdoors - 09/11/18 11:25 AM

I go out quite a bit , putting them on and taking them off cannot be good for the connections .
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Leaving fish finders outdoors - 09/11/18 12:01 PM

I rely on insurance for storing at the house. I try to not stop anywhere and leave the boat unattended. If I must go into a store for any length of time or a hotel I remove them.
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: Leaving fish finders outdoors - 09/14/18 06:43 PM

Originally Posted By: cwil

I use tamper resistant cap screws for both my graph units and mounting brackets. You can order these online most anywhere. Not completely thief proof but nothing really is these days if some one wants it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum