Texas Fishing Forum

Do I need a bigger boat?

Posted By: Double Haulin'

Do I need a bigger boat? - 09/20/17 04:43 PM

I have a 19 ft blue wave center console with a 160 suzuki 4 stroke. I am wanting to do some offshore fishing. Not any father than like the 1 mile rigs. So my question is, is my boat to small? I know people that do this in kayaks so I don't imagine it would be but am looking for advice. If the boat is big enough what size swells would you not go out in in this boat?

Any other advice you have would be appreciated.
Posted By: saltwaterjunky

Re: Do I need a bigger boat? - 09/20/17 05:47 PM

You didn`t say but if its a deep V bay boat or? no problem just have to pick ur days when its flat U wouldn`t believe little boats I`ve seen out there.1 -2 swells I think good without alot of wind gets dicey in a hurry pay attn.to what ur doing and respect ur not on a lake.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Do I need a bigger boat? - 09/20/17 06:43 PM

I've taken my 18' v-hull bay boat out quite a ways on calm days. But I won't do this on anything more than 1' to 2' forecasts.
Posted By: tsspencer2887

Re: Do I need a bigger boat? - 09/20/17 08:40 PM

We always need a bigger boat!
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Do I need a bigger boat? - 09/21/17 04:28 PM

I've had my 20Ft Wellcraft out 35 miles to the Buccaneer Rigs. On a flat ice cream day. Just use common sense here. Weather is the big Factor and as above...Hull design plays a part.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Do I need a bigger boat? - 09/21/17 04:33 PM

I use to run a 20' CC Mako from Jupiter inlet to the Bahamas all of the time. There were only a few times that I didn't think I was going to make it.
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Do I need a bigger boat? - 10/03/17 10:35 PM

Yeah but if you've been there...just 1 time out there when you're wondering if you'll make it is 1 time too many. Puts a real fun feeling in your gut right? nuts
Posted By: Mo

Re: Do I need a bigger boat? - 10/04/17 06:25 PM

Pick your days , watch the weather , have all your safety gear,
you will be fine

one and twos , ok , that boat will beat you to death going into
anything much bigger at speed. I traded my 19 for a 22, it does much
better , although these days it stays in the slip at Lake Palestine.

Have not hauled it to the coast in years

good luck

MO
Posted By: guyfucci

Re: Do I need a bigger boat? - 10/16/17 01:58 AM

1 mile out, ur good if you follow everyone's suggestion above. Also, get in habit of leaving a float plan with someone so they know where to look for you if you fail to return on time. And if you really find the offshore gig a habit, spend the money on an EPIRB, the personal ones are fairly affordable now, and really work.
Posted By: Mangosteen

Re: Do I need a bigger boat? - 10/26/17 07:06 PM

I take my tracker 2072 offshore all the time. I try to only go out when the swells are 3ft or less and 20mph or less wind. Never had any problems. Furthest I've gone so far if about 35nm (it was a perfect day with glassy water). Just have all the proper safety equipment and you should be fine.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Do I need a bigger boat? - 11/16/17 11:24 PM

Shouldn’t be a problem.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum