Texas Fishing Forum

A Few Questions:

Posted By: Russ Roberts

A Few Questions: - 06/28/17 03:23 AM

Folks,

After many years of inactivity, I am getting ready for a multi-day trip to the floaters for YFT and hopefully some bottom fishing for AJ's and grouper. I have all my own equipment. I have talked with the folks at the various Deep Sea operations in Port Aransas but while they may be great at fishing, let's just say communication is not necessarily their forte. So a few questions:

For a 48 to 80 hour trip, any opinions as to who offers the best chance at quality fishing. Comfort would be nice, but that is not my first concern.

I understand that Dolphin Docks does not allow braid--period. If so, that would be a non-starter for me. Any knowledge of whether that is strictly enforced?

Also, I talked with the folks at Deep Sea HQ about their 60 hour trips and was told there is a three outfit limit. I am hopeful that if I ever get a chance to talk to the Captain, I might be allowed to keep a couple of short backup rods in my bunk. Any knowledge of how the goes down?

I read a thread by the great Kil (Ksong) who went on a TFF trip on the Scat Cat (I assume a charter by members of this group??) and was very complimentary. Can anyone tell me about that? Am I right about the "TFF" designation? If so, wha would I need to do to get on such a charter?

I have heard (and pictures confirm it) that the overhang on the Scat Cat makes it hard to pop. Is that true? Is popping on the bow or stern or both?

Do you know if there is a rod and reel limit on the long trips on the Scat Cat?

Thanks for any information you can provide. And best regards to all.

Russ
Posted By: Day0ne

Re: A Few Questions: - 06/28/17 05:32 AM

Russ, I believe the TFF charter are pretty much over and done with (I could be wrong) but Fisherman's Wharf does run open trips in the fall or at least they did.

The popping is done mostly from the bow

Never saw a rod and reel limit. I usually took 8

Don't forget Galveston Party boats has scheduled some 30 hr trips starting in July https://www.360tuna.com/threads/new-buccaneer-fall-2017-tuna-schedule.49348/
Posted By: dolphinslayer1

Re: A Few Questions: - 06/28/17 11:28 AM

Russ,

I am Capt of the Pelican at DSH. First and foremost, with only a couple exeptions, any boat on the Gulf offering long trips, will do their best to give you a great trip, so you are pretty safe, no matter who you choose!.

Do not ever.talk to the desk people in the summer with fishing questions, unless you know you are talking to a year round employee or manager. The help has a cheat sheet for basic day trips an doesn't really understand long range. Your best bet is to talk to a captain of the vessel. If you do a small amount of research, we can be found, and are usually approachable.

There are no rod limits and braid is fine. All vessels except the DE have overhangs, and the buc and scat have huge bow areas. If you take the time to learn how to underhand cast, none of that will matter, you can get away from the croud, and you will be safer. Practice off the bed of your pickup to learn.

Good luck to you and I hope you find the boat that is the right fit!

Capt James Wheeler
Posted By: Russ Roberts

Re: A Few Questions: - 06/28/17 01:48 PM

Captain James,

Thanks VERY much for your reply. Clears up a lot--and I had kind of thought exactly what you are saying. With your permission, I will send you a PM with some specific questions--and maybe set up a time to call you or vice versa. I suspect you are up to your ears in snapper right now. smile

Russ
Posted By: dolphinslayer1

Re: A Few Questions: - 06/28/17 10:46 PM

Feel free to contact me captjameswheeler@yahoo.com, or find and add me on Facebook for pms... hint:I'm friends with deep sea headquarters
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum