Texas Fishing Forum

TUNA JIGS

Posted By: DLALLDER

TUNA JIGS - 02/12/15 12:24 AM

What size treble hooks are on most of the tuna jigs such as the 6-8 oz diamond jig? I have found a jig mold and plan on making some. Thanks
Posted By: tunatamer

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/12/15 01:30 AM

Don't often see trebles on tuna jigs bud.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/12/15 02:39 AM

Assist hook is better

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/12/15 01:10 PM

Is Assist hook a style of hook or a name brand?

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/12/15 01:28 PM

What is the reason that the assist hook is better? Are trebles legal?
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/12/15 01:44 PM

the main reason is the hook is attached directly to the line, rather than the lure, which the fish can gain angles to lever out the hook.
You will most likely find a number of arguments fr both
rear vs front hooking, as well as treble vs single
I personally like the large single assist hook (8-11/o) as it maintains hookset, & is a LOT less dangerous for deckhands, or whoever is bringing the fish over the side.
Sure would like to fish with you again, Daniel!

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/12/15 08:28 PM

lite-liner, I did enjoy the deep drop trip and have wanted to make another. The tuna trip is just at the wrong time for me due to deer hunting & guiding. I am going to make up some jigs & try with single & treble hooks.
Posted By: Capt Hoop

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/13/15 01:09 AM

Outside of my glow diamond jigs I have switched to nothing but Anteater jigs. 200g size. They come with 2 assist hooks but I remove one. I keep it for a spare if the other gets bit off or worn. The use of 2 hooks will maybe give you a better chance of hooking up but the second hook is guaranteed to get in somebody's hand, leg, or arm by the end of the day.
Posted By: moonriver

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/15/15 01:37 AM

Well said, captain.
Posted By: Capt Hoop

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/18/15 02:51 PM

I find a treble hook looses more fish than assist hooks.
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/19/15 05:38 PM

Trust me...stay away from the trebles and go with assist hooks on jigs. You will boat more fish. You can buy them by the package from most good saltwater tackle stores. Here is a pic of one of the jigs I make myself from a mold for snapper (yeah it is beat up from the last trip...gotta make more of that color pattern) and a package of assist hooks I use for my AJ jigs.
[/URL]

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/20/15 06:18 PM

LMGreeri, Thanks for the picture, what size assist hooks do you use when tuns fishing?

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/20/15 06:21 PM

LMGreeri, Thanks for the picture, what size assist hooks do you use when tuns fishing?

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/20/15 08:55 PM

Depends on the jig size. I tend to err to the larger size (size more as in hook diameter for strength) on vertical jigs despite the great eyesight tunas have. I believe with the erratic action they can't see em as well and its more of a fast reaction strike anyway unlike live baiting and such where the bait is just kind of hovering there for close inspection.
The package of 6/0 hooks pictured are what I use on my 9oz jigs. For 6-8oz I'd prob be running 4/0 or 5/0.

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/21/15 12:12 AM

Lmgreeri, Thanks again. Daniel

Re: TUNA JIGS - 02/21/15 12:31 AM

You're very welcome!
Tight lines to ya!!! Maybe we can hook up and fish sometime.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum