Texas Fishing Forum

jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda

Posted By: solomon

jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/25/12 07:40 PM

anyone fish the rigs wit jet skiis? also what where to go not sure if if there some rigs close to por o conner <<<<gps coordinates ? any help woud be appreciated , or any one that does that maybe we all get togethr and try it out

Posted By: LandPirate

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/25/12 07:49 PM

Lots of rigs within eyesight of POC. They're usually pretty crowded on calm days and especially on weekends.

Posted By: Bazztex

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/25/12 07:51 PM

After seeing 10+ft Makos at some of the rigs we have fished, you will never see me there on one. Good luck to ya though hope you limit out. cheers

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/25/12 07:53 PM

Yeah, big tigers and hammers around the jetties too. I'll stick to fishing out of an actual boat.

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/25/12 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Yeah, big tigers and hammers around the jetties too. I'll stick to fishing out of an actual boat.

Yeah never mind the Hammers, Bull and Tiger Sharks at the near shore rigs well over 10ft that love topwater snacks, better use a real light stringer line to keep your fish on so you dont get that Jet Ski floaty bobber towed under rolfmao noidea scared bolt

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/25/12 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Bazztex

Yeah never mind the Hammers, Bull and Tiger Sharks at the near shore rigs well over 10ft that love topwater snacks, better use a real light stringer line to keep your fish on so you dont get that Jet Ski floaty bobber towed under rolfmao noidea scared bolt

Yup, I hooked up a 10-12 tiger several years ago at the Port A Jetties. I was in my old 24' Kenner. Before I was able to get the rod out of the rod holder, the fish swam under the boat from the stern. The line wrapped on one of the bilge plugs. When he came back out from under us, he pulled the plug, unbeknownst to us. About 30 min. later it dawned on us that we were sinking. The hull under the deck was full and no bilge pumps. Cut the shark off, fired up the motor and headed for the marina, albeit very slowly. During the fight the shark passed within feet of the boat, at the surface. Easily identified and easily half the length of the boat.

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/25/12 08:13 PM

preciate the input ,yea sounds quite scary but figure ill give it a shot ,what most folks using out there mostly live bait or what sorry for dumb ???? this all new to me once agin much appreciated

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/25/12 08:32 PM

Near shore you'll mostly catch King Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, and mostly inshore species (trout, reds, black drum, sheepshead, etc.)

If you get on a rig in deep enough water and not too heavily fished, it might hold red snapper.

You'll need king leaders for the toothy king/spanish macks. Frozen squid is good for snapper.

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/25/12 09:14 PM

thankyou will try it out and see what come up,

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/26/12 12:52 AM

Get you a short 6ft gaff to get the Barracuda and Kings off, they dont play well with others and you dont want them anywhere near your head, feet or hands. Squid, Mullet, Sardines, Fresh Piggy Perch and Croaker will all get you bit. Get you a cooler and keep your catch on Ice, do not ever use a stringer/ shark and Cuda attracter around the rigs I was kidding.

What ever you do please be extra careful out there, the GOM can be one of the toughest places on earth at times. Travel with a buddy on another PWC or another boat to be safe. From the guys reports of spending the night on a rig due to craft failure it SUX REAL BAD!

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/26/12 01:39 PM

yea for sure , planning on going with a buddy ,but yea i hear ya wit regards to safty will wait for calm day and see what happens ,,thanks for your input

Posted By: MamaTried-ATX

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/26/12 05:57 PM

On those rigs, you will mainly be hoping for kings. Ling will be hit or miss. 2010 I caught a decent ling every time out. 2011 I didn't catch or see a single ling. Kingfish were everywhere though. Lots of small snapper with a few mangrove and spadefish thrown in. Triggerfish were like a swarm of pirahna.

Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/27/12 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Bazztex

Yup, I hooked up a 10-12 tiger several years ago at the Port A Jetties. I was in my old 24' Kenner. Before I was able to get the rod out of the rod holder, the fish swam under the boat from the stern. The line wrapped on one of the bilge plugs. When he came back out from under us, he pulled the plug, unbeknownst to us. About 30 min. later it dawned on us that we were sinking. The hull under the deck was full and no bilge pumps. Cut the shark off, fired up the motor and headed for the marina, albeit very slowly. During the fight the shark passed within feet of the boat, at the surface. Easily identified and easily half the length of the boat.

Oh, I would LOVE to muckle into a big shark like that from my 18' boat!!! (yes, I am insane)

Posted By: JonBoater

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/27/12 02:17 PM

The screw in type pipe plugs are sure a PITA but now I know there is at least one good reason for them eeks

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/29/12 01:32 PM

No truer words have been spoken.

Posted By: bleach

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 04/30/12 04:54 PM

I would suggest going to POC... There is a 4 platform rig 9.x miles from the end of the big jetty. I fish that rig a lot and have had luck with Kings, Ling, smacks, bull red (time of year) and small snapper.

Regarding the sharks, yes those rigs are full of sharks. You also end up catching many bonnet head and small black tips. Last summer we caught a hammer head that was about 9', got it to the side of the boat and cut the hook (all on a King rig).

As far as other rigs, If you head SE from the end of the jetty, and go about 10 - 12 miles, you will start running into a bunch of rigs. We fished these last year and I think due to the distance, they are not fished as hard. We were catching 20lb snapper, grouper, ling and kings. We did not see another boat, but I think we counted about 5-8 rigs within sight.

I use this site to get the GPS location data of rigs, you can import the data into Google Maps and then click on each rig. One issue that I have seen is that the data may not be 100% up to date. I think that they list some rigs that may be capped or something like that.

http://www.travelbygps.com/special/gulf/oil_gas_rig_platform.php

Definately, you should buddy boat if you go out to these rigs, since the chances are that you will be issolated. Although I trust my boat, with one engine I will not go out there alone. Nice thing is that at the 9 mile rig, I still have cell phone reception (yes I also have a radio on my boat), so that is always good.

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 05/01/12 05:10 PM

I know the weatherman can't predict this weekend's wind yet but if the current forecast holds. I may be giving those nearest rigs an early shot this saturday.

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 05/02/12 05:07 PM

thank yall so much for the info this weekend for sure ,if it holds will be out ther first thing sat morning , so if u see 2 skiis one yellow and one green thats us ,,hopefully we catch something

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 05/03/12 05:26 PM

Well the forecast is holding. Still not going to be flat though. We will make it sometimes saturday but may stop to drift for trout early and run out saturday afternoon. I have to see what the rest of guys want. We will be in the maroon and white triton with the tall antenna.

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 05/07/12 03:45 PM

we went out little rough , caught one 39inch king then hooked onto a 6ft blacktip , was freakin awesome ,my buddy on other skii had some electrical issue with the skii not starting so had to tow him back ,basically just got out there and had to come right back but all in all was awesome ,buddy lost 2 decent size fish not sure what they were but yea weekend of the 18th gona try it again getting tome rodd holders made and will be set .did u have any luck (a draper ) ??

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 05/07/12 05:30 PM

12 mph winds didn't happen, more like 20. We ran to the POC big jetty and took a look. Decided the beating we would take would not be worth it. Fished around the rocks for a while. Lots of small sharks and not much else. Had about a 20lb bull shark pup. Every cast would catch a sharpnose or bonnet head. Hooked one unstoppable frieght train. Had one rod jerked out of the boat but saved by rod leash. Caught just enough redfish for dinner saturday night. Worked on the boat and installed a new DSC VHF and fixed a couple hatch latches.

Sunday morning was calm....too calm. We ran to south pass to drift for trout. Caught a couple right way from off color green water. Not a breath of wind. Felt a faint breeze from the north and repositioned to drift from that direction. A captn over the VHF said "Looks like we have a norther coming". Wind went from none to 20+ mph from the north in 5 minutes, instantly turned southpass to chocolate. Ran back to POC to drift Bill Days. Not much happening. Lots of boats there though.

Posted By: Reel Ezzzz

Re: jet skii fishing the rigs , poc or matagorda - 05/11/12 05:34 PM

brave ....souls....good luck...

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum