Texas Fishing Forum

Shark fishing near Galveston?

Posted By: 84scruffy

Shark fishing near Galveston? - 02/01/21 07:15 PM

Hey, looking for any info out there on shark fishing this time of year near Galveston. A buddy and me are driving down from Mn starting Thursday. Would love to hook a shark. We caught some redfish of the coast of Louisiana a few years ago and that was a blast. Mostly shore fishing but we are bringing a Zodiac boat to bomb around on. Any info would be much appreciated. even places on the beach you can camp. Thanks for the help. Joe V.
Posted By: atx_ben

Re: Shark fishing near Galveston? - 02/01/21 11:47 PM

I've heard stories about giant sharks in the wintertime -- Billy Sandofer, famous guide/naturalist on Padre Island, told a story when I fished with him ~25 years ago, about getting spooled on a 16/0 (Penn Senator) on New Year's Day once. A 16/0 probably holds 1500 yds of 80# line, so...yeah.

That being said, growing up in Galveston, we never really fished for sharks in the winter (we were hunting deer down south).

The sandbar sharks started to show up in March, those are cool to catch.

Maybe someone else here has had some luck.
Posted By: Lmgreeri

Re: Shark fishing near Galveston? - 03/12/21 05:59 AM

It's gonna be tough for big sharks in that area this time of year. You'd have better luck down PINS...I hear some sandbar are starting to show up down there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum