Texas Fishing Forum

Reel Recommendations?

Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Reel Recommendations? - 07/08/20 07:53 PM

I am a bass guy but been doing more saltwater fishing the last few years. Mainly inshore, but often target bull reds with live bait, so I am looking for a little heavier tackle. But I don't want to spend a ton not doing it that often. So, any recommendations for reels - spinning and levelwind - in the $100 range - or maybe combos under $200? I just don't know what is decent, and what isn't (and if that will get me something decent). The below picture happened last time and, even though I got some big ones in, I would rather go a little heavier to help out the odds and save some equipment. Thanks in advance! smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Buford Wilson

Re: Reel Recommendations? - 07/08/20 10:05 PM

I have been happy with my Penn Fierce II Live Liners offshore pulling russelures for kingfish. They are spinning reels that allow you to set a bait clicker drag on a free spool like you can on a casting reel. Since your picture has spinning reel in it and you said you like to fish live bait, then I think it would be a good choice for you.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Reel Recommendations? - 07/09/20 03:35 PM

My standard inshore reel is a 6500 or 6600 Abu Garcia baitcasting reel on a 6’6” Ugly Stik Med/hvy. For sharks or other big fish I upgrade to a 7000i reel on a bass pro series 6’3” Muskie rod 15 to 40 pound class. You could get them new for around $250, but I buy most of my stuff from EBay. On EBay you could probably get a combo together for around $100.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Reel Recommendations? - 07/09/20 03:53 PM

Thanks guys. I prefer a casting type, but will likely get one of each. And plenty of inshore stuff, but those 30# - 40# reds really put a strain on that stuff - thus the more heavy duty equipment. Like those ABUs, will watch eBay.

I'll keep a watch out, but anyone feel free to throw out other thoughts as well.
Posted By: 1956Zebco

Re: Reel Recommendations? - 07/10/20 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer
Thanks guys. I prefer a casting type, but will likely get one of each. And plenty of inshore stuff, but those 30# - 40# reds really put a strain on that stuff - thus the more heavy duty equipment. Like those ABUs, will watch eBay.

I'll keep a watch out, but anyone feel free to throw out other thoughts as well.

I'll give another thought: Fin Nor

Fin Nor

Use that link to do some research (many know nothing about them) and pick a target reel (saltwater) you want. A lot of their stuff is in the stratosphere, but every now and then if you watch Ebay daily, you can snag one on the cheap. They are by far the smoothest reels most of us will ever handle, and tough. Good luck!
Posted By: Jig Man

Re: Reel Recommendations? - 07/11/20 12:51 AM

If your fishing the surf, you will want at least a 10' rod with a spinning reel that has a good drag. That way you can reach the second bar. Penn has some really good combos. For inshore/jetty I just ordered carbon drags for my old 5500C and 6500C and put them on 7 foot heavy rods... I haven't been spooled... yet! grin

The rig in the picture is light for the coast... IMO
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum