Texas Fishing Forum

Locator Beacon

Posted By: fouzman

Locator Beacon - 07/12/18 05:35 PM

Does anyone know of a cheap, water proof GPS Locator Beacon that could be attached to a sheet of plywood? Always thought it would be a great way to congregate certain species of fish like dolphin and triple tail. Set it out and keep track of its location with a Receiver.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Locator Beacon - 07/12/18 05:37 PM

with the wind and currents, that thing could be in mexico or on the beach the next day.

Re: Locator Beacon - 07/12/18 05:41 PM

That's why I want inexpensive, Huck.
Posted By: V-Bottom

Re: Locator Beacon - 07/12/18 09:49 PM

Weed lines and buoys for triple tail
Posted By: Marc-62

Re: Locator Beacon - 07/12/18 09:59 PM

Do you intend to stay with said sheet of plywood with the GPS beacon on it. If not your plan sounds very irresponsible a boat could hit that floating piece of debris . Who wants to hit that at 3.00 a.m. in the dark heading out to their fishing hole. Sounds like a good way to screw up some props & damage some outboards . Please rethink your plan . Tight Lines
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Locator Beacon - 07/13/18 04:00 AM

I alway thought the orange fencing used by contractors with some floats anchored to the bottom would make a great floating offshore fad.
It would be illegal so I have never made one

Re: Locator Beacon - 07/13/18 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: V-Bottom
Weed lines and buoys for triple tail

I know.

Re: Locator Beacon - 07/13/18 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Marc-62
Do you intend to stay with said sheet of plywood with the GPS beacon on it. If not your plan sounds very irresponsible a boat could hit that floating piece of debris . Who wants to hit that at 3.00 a.m. in the dark heading out to their fishing hole. Sounds like a good way to screw up some props & damage some outboards . Please rethink your plan . Tight Lines

I've thought about that, too. To be effective, it would need to remain in the water and I'd hate to cause damage or worse to another fisherman's vessel.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Locator Beacon - 07/24/18 05:31 AM

Put a bouy on it and everyone will fish it if they see it. A spot would work but I would put it on a burner phone. That is if you get reception in the first place.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum