Texas Fishing Forum

Grand Cayman and Roatan

Posted By: willyrdskillyrd

Grand Cayman and Roatan - 01/30/18 06:21 PM

Any recommendations on affordable charters in Grand Cayman or Roatan during June? My wife and I will be there and will be snorkeling and scuba diving some but may also try to squeeze in some fishing...reef offshore...whatever may be light on the wallet...

Thanks
Posted By: 9094

Re: Grand Cayman and Roatan - 02/02/18 02:00 AM

In both places an affordable charter means a cheap charter. Not worth it.
Find a good reputable charter.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Grand Cayman and Roatan - 02/07/18 07:26 PM

When your feet hit the ground there, 100 American is only worth 80 in the Caymons
Check out Capt. Marvin charters its on the 7 mile beach strip across the street from the Wyndom.
You'll fair better to go diving and do the stingray trip.. We took his 75.00 ea snorkeling 3 spots then the Rays, after that the boat took us to a private marina where the prepared the Conch we dove for and 2 course entree with great sides.. All in all it took most the day.. It was well worth the money, there were 11 of us and 3 crew. They took good care of us.
Posted By: soggybottom

Re: Grand Cayman and Roatan - 02/16/18 10:00 PM

I was going to go to Roatan but decided going to one of the most hostile countries on the planet was a bad choice.
Posted By: Fishing Fedora

Re: Grand Cayman and Roatan - 05/03/18 09:54 PM

Haven't been on it a while, but this is something I could speak to. For Roatan, call Michael Bodden. I fished with him 6 years ago, when he was working out of a lodge, but he runs his own setup now. He knows the island and the fish. I caught bonefish, bar jacks, barracuda, and a couple dozen little tunnies in a one day trip with him.

Big offshore stuff, there may be better/bigger boat options with a little searching. I caught 14 species of fish in a week on Roatan, and don't worry about the Honduras murder rate, you fly straight to Roatan. I never felt out of place there.

Missed the Grand Cayman trip last year, so don't have any experience there.
Posted By: JCHANDLER

Re: Grand Cayman and Roatan - 07/15/18 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: soggybottom
I was going to go to Roatan but decided going to one of the most hostile countries on the planet was a bad choice.
Roatan is nothing like Honduras. We have been twice for scuba diving and never a problem. You can fly direct to the Island.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum