Texas Fishing Forum

Bump Station and State length requirements

Posted By: CubbyObrien

Bump Station and State length requirements - 11/01/17 12:15 AM

Hey All,

Just a quick reminder to check your measuring boards against the ones used by the tournament at the bump station. There were numerous short fish brought in this weekend at Lewisville and every fish turned away was well short of the required 14". This is important for many reasons, one being that its a state law and enforceable if violated. The students fish to hard to take a possible deduction if brought to weigh-in and found to be short as well as the fact that there is a law violation. Doesn't matter whether you agree with the law or not, its not a THSBA rule alone, we follow what the law states on this. Several excuses were given; "My board showed it to be 14", "my board is bent" and the best was "well your board is wrong". Either way, we go by the boards at the bump station and there is a courtesy board ahead of the bump station for you to check the fish, if you are not sure.
Also, please make sure you have all of the required equipment in your boat. In the event that you are one of the teams in the running, you don't want to jeopardize your place by not being prepared for the boat inspection.

A link to the TPWD page with the fishing regulations is below.

TPW LINKS .
Posted By: milkfisher

Re: Bump Station and State length requirements - 11/03/17 01:35 PM

THSBA is still using The Nameplate board...correct?
Posted By: C130

Re: Bump Station and State length requirements - 11/03/17 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: milkfisher
THSBA is still using The Nameplate board...correct?

That's what their website states under the rules and "short fish" section. Anyone know where/if you can buy these at local stores? I went to their website but last time I looked it showed 2-3 weeks before shipping.

Re: Bump Station and State length requirements - 11/03/17 01:44 PM

http://store.nameplate.com

I ordered one. It said it will arrive in 1-2 weeks. They are in Dallas. I’m sure you could pick one up.

Re: Bump Station and State length requirements - 11/03/17 10:31 PM

In the event you don’t have the same board, check yours against the one used by the TD at the event you are fishing. It is always a good practice to do this at any tournament you fish due to other trails using different boards. I work the Graoevine series trail with Scott Gordan and I see anglers compare their board to ours all the time just to make sure prior to rolling out. This is a good habit to have exspecially on a slot lake.

Re: Bump Station and State length requirements - 11/14/17 02:52 AM

I ordered one. It said it will arrive in 1-2 weeks. They are in Dallas. I’m sure you could pick one up.

Arrived 7 days after ordering. Compared to the ruler in my skeeter I’m not impressed. Thinner metal, graphics/lettering weren’t deep at all. Additionally, one of these boards is not bent to a true 90 degree Andre. Haven’t checked to see which one it is but they are a full 16th of an inch different.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Bump Station and State length requirements - 11/14/17 03:42 AM

Are there really rulers out there where an inch is not really an inch? How hard can it be?
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Bump Station and State length requirements - 11/14/17 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: toofy
Are there really rulers out there where an inch is not really an inch? How hard can it be?

Yes there are and apparently, it can be pretty hard.

Step on a board and bend it and you can cause it to read "off", which can get you a ticket or a DQ. Some boards read different than others, maybe a bad run from the factory or just the difference between two different companies.
Either way, this thread was put out there to let you know that you need to compare YOUR board to the "official" board the tournament uses to know where you measure up. It's not rocket science.

Re: Bump Station and State length requirements - 11/16/17 02:30 AM

This is a good example of why you run your board up on the board used by the TD. There are allot of tournament trails that use different boards so checking will keep you out of trouble at the bump station. The one at the bump station is pretty thick 1/4 maybe? I would call the company and see what they will do for ya.

Arrived 7 days after ordering. Compared to the ruler in my skeeter I’m not impressed. Thinner metal, graphics/lettering weren’t deep at all. Additionally, one of these boards is not bent to a true 90 degree Andre. Haven’t checked to see which one it is but they are a full 16th of an inch different.
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: Bump Station and State length requirements - 11/16/17 03:01 AM

I would contact them, the ones we have are as thick as the prorule that are in my Skeeter as well.Something doesn’t sound right. Not sure what happened

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum