Texas Fishing Forum

PlanoISD Fishing Team

Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

PlanoISD Fishing Team - 03/15/17 09:54 PM

We are looking for students to join our team next year. It is all 9th-12th graders enrolled in any PlanoISD high school. The team currently only consists of 2 memebers, and we are looking to expand the team to bring high school bass fishing in plano. If you are interested in joining or have a kid that enjoys bass fishing feel free to PM me for extra information. Thanks
Posted By: Nicholas Moudy

Re: PlanoISD Fishing Team - 03/21/17 03:05 AM

Hopefully someone will join we need it
Posted By: Catching Air

Re: PlanoISD Fishing Team - 03/22/17 12:35 PM

I have to ask the question why are you limiting your fishing team to 9th - 12th? You may only get the 2 members you have. I no there are some high school tournaments trails that limit it to those grades but there are also some that allow 7th & 8th graders to fish also. How do think SETX high school tournaments pull the numbers that they pull. I'm a father of and 8th grader that wants to fish and our school district will not let her fish. It is very discouraging for kids that tournament rules state they are allowed to participate to only be shot down by there school. I will tell you it leaves a very bad taste in the student as well as the parents mouth when this happens. Students and parents should not have to form there on teams or go out of districts that they are tax payers in so there child can fish for someone else when it is there school system. Just my opinion for what it's worth.
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: PlanoISD Fishing Team - 03/22/17 05:36 PM

As far as im aware only 9th-12th graders can fish, since here in plano those are the high school grades. I do recal reading the rules that someone in the 8th grade can fish with someone thats in 9th grade and up. If 7th and 8th graders can fish id be glad to let them. I believe we could pull a decent team being in plano and having as many kids we do, there has to be some kids that are interested.
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: PlanoISD Fishing Team - 03/22/17 05:59 PM

Only 9th thru 12th can fish in the THSBA.
Posted By: Catching Air

Re: PlanoISD Fishing Team - 03/23/17 02:44 AM

As I stated in the post approve just a question. Also as I stated I do no that SETX and Deep East Texas high school trails allow 7th and 8th. I don't no all the different trails that are out there for the anglers nor do I live in the Plano area. I'm trying to learn what is out there for high school tournaments cause I have 8th grader that her friends that live in east Texas can fish but her school fishes same tournaments and will not allow her. She won't to fish as many tournaments as she can next year. So can student anglers fish in what ever tournament trail they want as long as they are affiliated with a high school team?
Posted By: TopWater Assassin

Re: PlanoISD Fishing Team - 04/18/17 04:27 AM

I would love to join text me whenever you're available 2149063064.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: PlanoISD Fishing Team - 04/18/17 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Catching Air
As I stated in the post approve just a question. Also as I stated I do no that SETX and Deep East Texas high school trails allow 7th and 8th. I don't no all the different trails that are out there for the anglers nor do I live in the Plano area. I'm trying to learn what is out there for high school tournaments cause I have 8th grader that her friends that live in east Texas can fish but her school fishes same tournaments and will not allow her. She won't to fish as many tournaments as she can next year. So can student anglers fish in what ever tournament trail they want as long as they are affiliated with a high school team?

If SETX allows grades under 9-12 to fish then why is it a problem for your 8th grade daughter? You do understand that the school system has no say in whether your daughter can fish or not... she has to follow the SETX rules, the school does NOT govern the SETX assoc, nor THSBA.
You may have to do the legwork on grades and whatnot but if she wants to fish, there is a way. It just might not be easy for you and require more effort.
If my child wished to join in and fish, I'd figure it out. I don't know the particulars of SETX but they seem to be pretty open to ways to allow kids to join in and fish.
Posted By: GeoFisher

Re: PlanoISD Fishing Team - 04/18/17 05:00 PM

SETX does allow 7-12 to participate simply because the 7th grade is where UIL activities begin for children in Texas. While you wont be seeing any 7th graders scrimmaging the varsity football team, our sport is unique in that size, age, and sex play very little in the abilities of an angler.

In fact, of the 20-25 tourneys that have been been put on by SETX in the past 4 years, I would venture to say that at least 8-12 of those tourneys have had at least one team member from the 7th or 8th grade levels in the top 3, including several 1st place finishes. I am not saying one way is better than the other, just stating facts.

If you live in a district that does not allow these children to participate, the solution is rather simple, start your own club. "Plano Junior Anglers Club" for example. Whether you do it through the school or privately, a responsible, committed adult is the key to getting going. The only advantage a school offers is convenience (everyone is there and its easy to meet),a name and maybe a tax exempt status for your club. It's not like they can help monetarily because the sponsorships and fund raising would be exactly the same either way. Another idea is to go through your local bass club and simply create a junior wing of the club.

While the sport has seen astronomical growth across the state, the sport is still not "mainstream" in our schools and school administrators fear the "unknown", it's human nature to avoid what we don't know much about, hence the reluctancy of many school admin's to allow a club period, much less junior high kids. That is where a knowledgeable adult can step up and help educate the schools admin's about the sport, its growth, and it's positive effect on kids. Its all about educating them!! 4 or 5 years ago, there were not many people who could do that, now there are literally thousands.

There are folks with SETX and THSBA and various other organizations who are happy to educate folks on their organizations. All it takes is someone to ask them.
Posted By: jenh

Re: PlanoISD Fishing Team - 11/28/17 09:51 PM

Hello! My son is in the 8th grade at Haggard and is very interested in joining the team. Please provide us with additional details. jen@pointgreen.com
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: PlanoISD Fishing Team - 12/25/17 12:51 PM

IMHO if the younger kids can not compete go ahead and take them Fishing at the described event. Get them ready for when they can compete.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum