Texas Fishing Forum

Riding on crushed granite

Posted By: RO519

Riding on crushed granite - 10/24/17 06:21 PM

Wife and I moved, and there is a really nice paved area I can ride, but I will have to ride about 1 mile on crushed granite. Will this be an issue on my road bike? I'm not worried about the bike, but more worried about getting flats...
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Riding on crushed granite - 10/24/17 06:43 PM

I'd do it till you get a flat, and just put up with it, or find another way to get to your riding spot. Hopefully it's pretty hard packed, loose stuff will have you falling over if your not careful.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Riding on crushed granite - 10/24/17 06:46 PM

I'd be more scared of slipping. One mile isn't bad...just take your time. Tire should be fine.

I have been cruising some oil top roads that seen much better days. Broken roads, iron ore rock roads, you name it....I find a road and I go. Speed is only thing effected so far.

Re: Riding on crushed granite - 10/24/17 07:14 PM

I expect my Strava feed to show more activity now! smile

I forgot all about you until 2 days ago you posted that run! thumb

Re: Riding on crushed granite - 10/24/17 07:15 PM

You should just run that one mile with the bike over your head. bolt
Posted By: MassAction

Re: Riding on crushed granite - 10/24/17 08:31 PM

Wider tires + lower pressure. Will help smooth out your ride and allow the tire and tube to deform around sharp objects versus push and puncture. Alternatively look into a cross bike, they were made fore exactly that.
Posted By: RO519

Re: Riding on crushed granite - 10/24/17 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
I expect my Strava feed to show more activity now! smile

I forgot all about you until 2 days ago you posted that run! thumb

roflmao Yea, I got lazy after the MS150. My rear tire (on the bike) went flat the Monday after while driving back to Houston and I still haven't replaced the tube. Going to wash my bike this evening and get it ready to start riding again. My cleats were shot after the MS150, so i ordered replacements from Amazon. They will be here tomorrow, along with new water bottles, and bar tape.

Re: Riding on crushed granite - 10/24/17 09:26 PM

If you're going to start cleaning your bike, here's a few things I use that really help to keep a bike clean.
Park Chain Keeper - when you pull the rear wheel off, slide this on so you can clean your chain, and keep it from rubbing on the frame, and the grease/oils from dripping onto your wheel.
Muc-Off Nano Tech Bike Cleaner
Rock N Roll Absolute Dry Lube - 4oz
Park Cassette Lockring Tool - You really need a chain whip for holding the cassette when you use the lock ring tool, but holding the cassette with a rag I can get the lock ring off. With the lock ring off, you pull the cassette off and wipe each cog clean, make it look brand new in about 5 minutes.

Go easy with the water, low pressure, and don't spray directly into your bottom bracket, headset, or hubs. thumb
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Riding on crushed granite - 10/25/17 12:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
You should just run that one mile with the bike over your head. bolt

this

Re: Riding on crushed granite - 10/25/17 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: MassAction
Wider tires + lower pressure. Will help smooth out your ride and allow the tire and tube to deform around sharp objects versus push and puncture. Alternatively look into a cross bike, they were made fore exactly that.

Wish they weren't so pricey. I dream of one weekly.

Re: Riding on crushed granite - 10/25/17 03:17 PM

I need that chain keeper. I fought the grease and scratches last cleaning. Ticked me off when I pulled the chain across my paint. Oh well.

Re: Riding on crushed granite - 10/25/17 04:25 PM

^^^^^ It's about the greatest thing I've ever seen. I was watching a youtube video a while back, saw it and was like WHAT.IS.THAT! I have to have it! The little pulley thing slides on that shaft so you can even spin the chain through the gears.
Posted By: Not2Old2Fish

Re: Riding on crushed granite - 11/01/17 12:21 AM

Your fine if there's no bits of flint.
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Riding on crushed granite - 11/01/17 01:54 PM

Street tires and rims are made for gravel. Sure, they can be used, but the wear and tear will happen faster.

Slipping sideways with just the right handlebar tilt might happen, but we all fall.

Is there no way around the area to get to you desired bike route?

...------
Posted By: jippedgenes

Re: Riding on crushed granite - 01/06/18 04:14 PM

I do not ride a mile every day but I do ride 100 feet bi weekly for many years on many different bikes and some with worn out tread. Never had a flat from the granite. I just try to accelerate and brake real easy so as not to spin or lock up tire.

Granted the crushed granite i ride on is fairly old but there are still sharp pieces in the road.

Hope you never get a slash or a puncture.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum