Texas Fishing Forum

Get Fit Plan - (Long Post)

Posted By: Jpurdue

Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 05:26 PM

This probably belongs in the health and fitness section, but I thought I'd share it here in case someone who could benefit isn't frequenting that forum.

In December of last year I weighed 222lbs. I had high blood pressure. Wasn't sleeping. Had zero energy and felt like I could have a grabber any day. I was taking pills to sleep and pills to stay awake. It was ugly. I'm 35.

Today I feel like a million bucks and weigh 191 lbs on my way to 175. That's 31 pounds basically since January 1st.

I decided I had make a change. Below is the plan I wrote for myself in December:

Goal: My primary goal is to get healthy, feel great, and increase longevity. My secondary goal is to lose weight and look good.

Step 1 was to get in shape to get in shape.
Before you start this training regimen it is extremely important you spend at least 1 month getting in shape to get in shape. I spent all of December on items 1-4 below. I didn't lose any weight during this time.

1. Start slowly on cardio and lifting and get your body into good enough shape to be able to do an aggressive workout without getting hurt. If you get hurt (which I have done multiple times in the past) youll fall off the wagon and not get anywhere. If you jump right into the workout below you will wind up getting chaffed legs, sore muscles, and feel like you are dying while doing the work outs.

2. You must break any and all refined sugar addiction. This one factor is perhaps the single most challenging aspect of getting in shape. Addiction to refined sugar creates a massive almost insurmountable obstacle to weight loss and getting yourself healthy.

3. Break the addiction to processed carbohydrates. This would be any sort of white carbohydrates such as white rice, pasta, or bread.

4. Break any other unhealthy food addictions you may have. (Example alcohol).

The Routine:
Wake up: I wake up to a sunrise simulation alarm clock. The light turns on very dimly at 4:30 am and is at full brightness at 4:50 am. I usually wake up to this light sometime around 4:45 am. I quickly brush my teeth and then start my workout. (I'm fortunate to have a small gym in my basement)

Fasted Cardio: Each morning at about 5:00 am do 30 minutes of fasted high intensity interval cardio. (See note on intermittent fasting below). I usually use an elliptical because its low impact, but I occasional substitute running, treadmills, or bikes. I spend about 5 minutes warming up and then I alternate between 90% effort for 1 minute followed by moderate effort for 1 minute. Ill do this for the remaining 25 minutes of my work out. High Intensity Interval Training generates the same effect on the body as if you did the entire workout at 90% effort. It burns fat far more efficiently and drives up human growth hormone and testosterone. (Lots of youtube videos on the benefits).

Strength training: I strength train 5 days a week. On MWF I focus on upper body. I follow an old weight lifting rep/weight guide I got from my high school football coach. Upper body days include: Bench press, lat pull down, and arm curls. Tuesdays and Thursdays I do lower body. This includes leg lunges, leg extensions, and a 4 minute ab/core work out. (Leg lunges/squats are extremely important as doing so doubles HGH levels (Human growth hormone) which dramatically increases muscle growth. Total strength training time is roughly 15 minutes.

Sauna: After each workout I sit in the sauna for 15 minutes. Amongst other benefits this decreases stress, aging, and all-cause mortality. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NChyDtupmkk.

Cold Therapy: During my post workout shower at the end of my shower I will turn the water on as cold as it will go for at least 2 minutes. This reduces depression, improves the immune system, increases testosterone, and perhaps most importantly improves mental toughness. If you can force yourself to stand in cold water at the start of the day youll be able to force yourself do about any other unpleasant task throughout the rest of the day. Its all about will power. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GShvGXwaijg

Mindfulness Meditation: While doing cardio, in the sauna, or in the shower practice some sort of meditation. This could be prayer, mindfulness or 5 minutes of being grateful, 5 minutes of being still, and 5 minutes of thinking of others. I like to rotate. This practice improves mood, decreases depression, and sharpens mental focus. Im primarily doing this in the sauna. During the sauna sit I listen to and practice guided mediation. Right now Im using an app called, Head Space.

Supplements: I freely acknowledge that this portion of my routine is perhaps the least grounded in actual science. There are many studies that have shown there is little if any benefit in supplements. There is zero doubt in my mind a robust healthy diet is the best way to get micro nutrients. That said given the rigor of my current training program I view supplements as a relatively cheap insurance policy to make sure my body has everything it needs to be successful. However, based off my own research here is my current daily intake of supplements:
1. Mens one a day multi-vitamin.
2. Krill oil. (Omega 3 deficiency is ranked as the 6th highest killer in America). Reduces risk of heart disease, lowers bad cholesterol, increases good cholesterol, promotes weight loss, improves memory, and improves the immune system.
3. Sulforaphane: Early research this chemical could be a wonder compound that reduces the risk of cancer and increases longevity amongst a myriad of other benefits. I currently get sulforaphane from two sources. 1. The supplement brocomax and broccoli sprouts I grow at home and consume on salads. Home grown broccoli sprouts are by far the best source of sulforaphone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz4YVJ4aRfg
4. Magnesium: As much as 80% of the population is magnesium deficient. Magnesium increases energy, improves heart health, and reduces anxiety.
5. Low Dose Aspirin: Reduces inflammation and cuts the risk of heart attack. (Probably not a good option for most healthy folks. Im only taking it because of a strong family history of heart problems).
6. Ciltep: Im taking this experimentally as a nootropic. Probably not a good idea to take this.
7. NAD+: Im taking this experimentally as well to improve cell regeneration and increase energy.
8. Fiber: I take a dose of fiber daily to improve digestion. It also aids weight loss and improves cholesterol.
Breakfast: Most days Im having a protein shake for breakfast. I use 0% milk, protein powder and powdered supplement called livefit superfood blend.

Lunch/Dinner: I try have at least one salad a day for either lunch or dinner. The other meal I keep healthy with a healthy mix of fruit, vegies, and small portions of healthy meat. I dont follow any specific diet, but in general its veggie heavy and low carbs. (Abstain from refined sugar and alcohol).

Water: I try to drink a gallon of cold water every day.

Intermittent fasting: My first meal every day is my protein shake which I usual consume with the supplements around 7am. My last meal of everyday is my dinner which I usually consume around 5:30pm. This means that every day Im fasting for 13.5 hours. (5:30pm to 7am). It also means my workouts in the morning are fasted. This drives ketogenic fat burning and increases lean muscle mass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R-eqJDQ2nU&t=370s

2-a-days: Heres the part a lot of folks are not going to like. Monday Thursday I do a second round of cardio after I get home. Depending on my schedule I try to do 30-45 minutes. Its not fun, but massively accelerates weight loss. I started 2-a-days only after I had gotten into good enough shape to be able to handle the extra physical exertion. The whole plan will still work well without this step.

Sleep: Im trying to sleep between 7-8 hours nightly. While water is allowed while fasting, I try to avoid drinking any after my last meal to cut back on having to get up and [censored] at night. This improves the soundness of my sleep.

Cheat Day: If Ive done well for the week. (Lost at least 2 lbs) Ill allow myself a cheat day on food. Typically its either Friday or Saturday. I try to avoid getting crazy, but Ill eat whatever I want. Typically for me this is pizza and a beer or two on Friday night. Saturday morning Ill have a nice breakfast and some carbs for lunch. Maybe a hamburger. Saturday night Im back to my healthy eating habbits.

Final thoughts: I use a Fitbit to keep track of my daily steps and I also use Myfitnesspal to keep track of my calories consumed. At the end of the day weight loss is 100% about consuming fewer calories than you burn on a daily basis. 31lbs down. 16 to go. Get ya some.
Posted By: Urban Fisher

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 05:33 PM

I really did have good intentions of reading this. Made it through the first paragraph and realized it is just too much. But anyway, I lost a lot of weight by switching from Bud to Bud Light. Also I eat a lot of chicken now. I think I lost a couple of waist sizes just over the past couple months (from eating mainly chicken).
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 05:34 PM

I got a workout just reading this. roflmao
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 05:38 PM

Good stiff, J. Congrats. I started a regimen pretty similar to yours for the same reasons September 2016. My results surpassed my expectations and I continue to exercise and lift minimum 3x per week (come hell or high water). Im 50.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 05:38 PM

I had no intentions of reading it. But had nothing better to do while eating this can of Vienna sausage with tabasco as a pre lunch snack. Your plan sounds pretty good.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 05:50 PM

Glad for you for being able to stay on it-

And you have a basement?
Didnt know anyone had those in the south?

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: steveiam

And you have a basement?

I'm on a temporary sabbatical in the north.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Originally Posted By: steveiam

And you have a basement?

I'm on a temporary sabbatical in the north.

thumb
Posted By: Indianation65

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 05:58 PM

I'm addicted to "health and exercise," and always have been.

I've done a lot of different kinds of workouts and physical activities.

The hardest workout I've ever had, EVER, is giving up the foods that I've loved as a kid. I still haven't done that yet, but luckily, I'm in good shape and have no belly.
The joint aches, well, that's another thing, but age has something to say about that.

Addendum: Getting the "mind" in shape might actually be harder than giving up food favorites.

...------
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 06:05 PM

Good job. Keep it up.
Posted By: UGLYSHCTICK

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 06:09 PM

I'm into fitness.... fitness sammich in my mouth for lunch

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 06:14 PM

Which one?
Schtick got me thinkin'...

...hmmm

Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 06:17 PM

inspiring
hard to give up drinking too
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 07:27 PM

Great work!! I've made major changes in my diet around Jan 3 this year when I got my annual physical results back. And the doctor told me basically make major changes or in 15 years you're going to have a heart attack or a stroke. I've not been doing the workouts like you. Mostly diet but I'm down 23lbs and droped my cholesterol from 273 to 195.

Keep us posted! Maybe the mods will move this to the health and fitness section where there is less traffic it'll stay near the top and you can keep us updated on your progress!

Way to make a plan and stick to it! I've got about 15 more pounds to lose and I've kind of plateaued so I'm going to have to start getting on the exercise like you are to get down to 200 which is my goal. But I'm 6'4 I'm guessing based on your goal you're not quite that tall. But anyway I wish you a lot of luck man way to make a plan and do it!
Posted By: elcoyote, esq.

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 07:42 PM

I was out as soon as you said to give up carbs and rice and stuff.

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/09/18 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: elcoyote, esq.
I was out as soon as you said to give up carbs and rice and stuff.

I go light on carbs. I still eat fruit and wild rice or quinoa occasionally during the week. I think once I get down to my goal weight I'll be able to slowly start to reintroduce some regular carbs in moderation. In general though I'm still eating enough variety and enough "good" carbs that I don't feel awful during the week.

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/10/18 03:22 PM

I "sugared" up this morning with chocolate covered twist donuts and my sugar/Carnation cream coffee.

My stomach doesn't feel so good right now, but my taste buds are pretty happy.

Luckily, I'll get in a good workout in, say, 2 hours.

...------
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/10/18 06:17 PM

I quit eating sugar and carbs last January. I started around 320lbs and I'm sitting at 240 right now.

I always thought it was overboard when parents wouldn't let their kids have candy or soda, now I realize they were doing it right all along. Now I cringe at what is in people's carts at the grocery store.
Posted By: Scagnetti

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/10/18 06:35 PM

I lost 67 pounds in 4 months eating carbs twice a day: 2 slices of bread at lunch and 2 oz of either rice or pasta at dinner

900 calories a day

No red meat or pork

No alcohol whatsoever

No cheating whatsoever

Walk 75 minutes every day

Calories babe, its all about the calories
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/11/18 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: T Bird
I got a workout just reading this. roflmao
It took me 4 beers. I did try to make sure I understood it though.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/11/18 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Scagnetti
I lost 67 pounds in 4 months eating carbs twice a day: 2 slices of bread at lunch and 2 oz of either rice or pasta at dinner

900 calories a day

No red meat or pork

No alcohol whatsoever

No cheating whatsoever

Walk 75 minutes every day

Calories babe, its all about the calories

900 calories? I burn that much fuel before lunch.

900 calories is hard to believe!! nuts

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/11/18 12:54 PM

I'll try and do a weekly post to keep the group updated on progress and insights.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/11/18 01:58 PM

As someone else said mindset is/was key to your success. That can the toughest obstacle. You have proof your method worked and continues to work for you. Long term sustainability and lifestyle change is challenging. Congrats and continued success.

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/15/18 05:55 PM

I've got a weigh in tomorrow. I'll update you guys. Been a tough week. My two year old had a birthday party and the wife had all kinds of people over. I wound up killing a couple cans of Guinness. Last night, I had to head out with the boss after work and did the same. I normally don't drink during the week at all. Good news is I've been eating super clean and have about 27 miles in so far this week. I should get another 7 in before my weigh in tomorrow morning. I'm hoping to break into the 180's for the first time in 8 years.

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/16/18 12:32 PM

189.8 lbs this morning. This is my first time below 190 since about 2010. I had to get back on the cardio equipment twice this morning after my workout to get below 190. I'll take it though. 35 miles so far for the week and still have the weekend ahead of me.

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/26/18 12:07 PM

188.1 as of last Friday. Going to give it hell this week, hoping to drop down below 185. My goal is 175 then to start really focusing on building muscle. I'm also kicking around the idea of running a marathon.
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/26/18 12:55 PM

I'm also kicking around the idea of running a marathon.

Just do it! Most fun I had in many many years...I love the preparation up part uo to the finish line and after! The training alone will knock out those pounds quickly!

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 03/30/18 01:43 PM

184.7 this week. I did a little bit of a weight cut though as I wrapped up a competition with friends. I imagine a solid 2 of the 4lbs I lost was water weight. Next stop 175, hopefully by mid May.

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 10/03/18 01:51 PM

Long time since I've done an update here. Currently sitting at 190lbs, so by and large I've kept off the vast majority of the weight. Down 32 pounds and holding since I started January 1st.

I'm doing a hard push this month to drop down below 180lbs. By year end I'd like to end up at about 175 and start really focusing on building muscle. I'm 36, and feel like building muscle is vastly harder than it used to be. I had my testosterone checked just to make sure that wasn't an issue. I was right down the middle of the road. I guess I just need to buckle down on lifting.

The only real change to my workout regiment has been the addition of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 1-2 times per week. Fantastic cardio and very helpful with flexibility and overall functional strength.
Posted By: MTH82

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 10/03/18 04:10 PM

Just came across this thread. Neat to hear and way to go.
Similar to you, about two years ago I just felt unhealthy. I weighed myself out of curiosity for the first time since probably high school and came in at 318. No idea I weighed that much. I was completely shocked and appalled. Right then I decided that was unacceptable and would do something about it.
I had always been fairly big. Played offensive line in school, worked out a ton, but never really lost weight, but never really put a lot of effort into doing so either.
Like you, I'm 36, several kids, demanding work, etc. When I decided that I was going to lose weight I knew I couldn't possibly do what you do. I may be able to keep that up for a while, but knew it was not sustainable. That appears to be the sentiment of several people on this thread and statistically that's the case for most people.
I have always known that you burn roughly 100 calories per mile that you run, etc. I do know that that there are other benefits to exercise and it can help increase your metabolism, etc. I had worked out fairly hard since I was a teenager and never lost weight. In fact, working out always made me really hungry. So, my thought process was instead of running a mile, just don't drink that Coke, or eat that cookie. Essentially, instead of having that burden of working out, just don't eat those calories that you would burn while working out and take in less calories than you would burn in an average day.
My problem was never sweets and stuff like that. I just ate all that was in front of me, like I was told to growing up. I'd get full, but just kind of kept eating until whatever it was, was gone.
As odd as it sounds, I started off thinking about the skinny women I knew and what they probably ate in a day. They weren't dying of starvation, so I decided to eat like one of them would. In the first week or two I probably lost 10 pounds. After that I put more thought into it. Knowing that it was a caloric intake thing I decided to loosely follow my intake. I treated it like a bank account. As little as I could spend a day the better. Some days I'd eat less that 500 calories, others I'd do substantially more, but at the end of the week/month I was consuming a ton less than what I had previously.
I have always liked good food and drink and I knew if I deprived myself of those things the weigh loss thing wouldn't be sustainable. So, I still eat a burger, but instead of a cheese burger and fries, I eat a hamburger. Instead of a 12" sub and chips, I get a 6" sub no cheese. I still drink all thing things I want - alcoholic drinks, which again, was a thing I wasn't going to deprive myself of, but haven't had an orange juice, regular Coke, etc. since I started this thing. When I started January of 2016 I was 318, now I'm 190. I actually put on a few pounds because I thought I was looking too skinny.
Overall, I'm a firm believer any diet is a calorie intake vs. calorie burn equation. You can do that a ton of different ways, just like Jpurdue has. At the end of the day, it's what's best for that person. Busting my rear in the gym and not having a good drink is not for me. People should just keep in mind there are a lot of ways to burn more calories than you take in to lose weigh and to just think it through and determine what would be best for you.
Congrats, Jpurdue.

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 10/03/18 04:24 PM

That's an awesome accomplishment MTH82. Agree 100% at the end of the day it's just about creating a calorie deficit. There is no magic bullet that works for everyone. Keto may work for some. Mediterranean or Paleo for others. I agree at the end of the day the most important thing is creating a caloric deficit in a way that you can actually sustain.

After April, I started drinking again. Far less heavily, than before, but drinking non-the-less. I also loosened up on my diet. I kept busting my butt in the gym though. A minimum of 6 workouts per week. Even with all that exercise I could not keep from gaining a little weight.

For me I think the big killer is Alcohol. Two main reasons. 1. I absolutely love the stuff, particularly the really calorie dense stuff like high alcohol content micro-brews. 2. I've come to accept the fact alcohol destroys my sleep patterns. If I have more than one drink after 6pm, I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night for 1-2 hours. I've got no clue what causes this, but it's my reality. So now I'm back to trying to really dramatically cut alcohol intake. I'm starting with a sober October, and then aim to hold myself to about the equivalent of 1 bottle of wine per week.

Anyway, cheers (no pun intended) to your success man. That's a heck of a story.

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 10/03/18 06:34 PM

Jpurdue, as mentioned before, I used to workout. Loved it. Got that "runners high" every time and it felt great. It used to be when I didn't workout I felt like crud, so that's what kept me going back. So, as dedicated as you've been, your body has been conditioned to it and you'd probably feel like crud too if you stopped working out. But, I'd be really interested to see someone like yourself that has done what you've done to lose weight try to just solely reduce calories without working out in order to lose weight. I'm confident that if you took in, call it 800 calories a day, without working out you'd lose the weight you wanted to. Alternatively, I'm confident that if I did what you did I'd gain weight. From the reduction in sleep and getting hungry from working out because my body is asking for more calories I'm convinced I'd take in more calories than I could burn.
I'm not a breakfast guy, so missing that is easy for me. For lunch I'll try to eat around 200 calories +/-. Usually it's one of those Nature Valley granola bars - 190 calories. They're great and it's a 15 second lunch. For dinner I'll have something like a chicken breast and broccoli, or really anything that's 300 - 400 calories. Then after that I have a glass (which is big and in reality is closer to half a bottle) of red wine. All in, it's around 800 calories +/-. If you get hungry during the day, drink a Diet Coke. I can lose a pound or two a day doing that. On the weekends I typically drink more so I gain some back, but the weekdays I keep chopping wood and the weight just fell off.
Can't help you with the booze and sleeping deal. That does happen to me as well from time to time. It's a quality of life thing I guess - willing to sacrifice a little sleep for a nightcap.
I know it'd be a total shock to the system, but if inclined, try 800 calories a day for 5 days and no working out. I bet you lose 2 - 3 pounds. If not, I'll buy you a beer.

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 10/03/18 07:55 PM

I'm certain you are correct. It's all about a calorie deficit. Whether you get it strictly from diet, exercise, or both. 100% you can lose weight by diet alone. In fact I'd say it's a much more effective lever for weight loss than exercise. I just combine them for two reasons: 1. Excercise allows me to eat more. 2. The exercise comes with a whole host of benefits other than weight loss. Lower blood pressure, more lean muscle mass (which means more calories burned) higher testosterone, better sleep, etc...

My goal is more than just weight loss. I want a lot of muscle and very little fat, and to feel great. The exercise also makes me feel like I had a win for the day no matter how bad everything else went. I like that. As you stated though, the key is what is sustainable for the individual, and every person is different.

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 10/03/18 08:02 PM

Agree.
Good work.

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 10/28/18 12:51 PM

181.5 lbs this week. My lightest weight since 2010. Down 41 lbs since the kick off. Going to try and get down to 175 in the next two weeks then shift to building muscle.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 10/30/18 12:04 AM

good motivation for what i started on today
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 11/01/18 12:40 PM

181.5 lbs this week. My lightest weight since 2010. Down 41 lbs since the kick off. Going to try and get down to 175 in the next two weeks then shift to building muscle.

Congrats on the progress!
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 11/04/18 09:01 PM

following a very similar keto plan - 12 months ago I started...down 47 pounds...could not post about this until I hit the year mark and at least 47 pounds.

Now when I do eat sugar...I freaking hate myself cuz I feel like chit! Had a chicken fried steak this morning....wish I could do that over!

Stay after whatever mix of keto and eating less sugar...its an amazing result if you go hard on it. I have more energy than I have ever had..not kidding.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Get Fit Plan - (Long Post) - 11/04/18 09:02 PM

well....maybe not ever had roflmao roflmao #55
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum