Texas Fishing Forum

Jon boat hull cleaning advice

Posted By: Catfish676

Jon boat hull cleaning advice - 05/24/17 03:38 AM

Howdy. I recently acquired a jon that has been sitting in the water for about 10 yrs and there is 10yrs of algae etc growth on the hull at the water line. Does anyone have any advice on what best to use to clean it? Thanks in advance.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Jon boat hull cleaning advice - 05/24/17 02:34 PM

Maybe a wide angle spray nozzle on a pressure washer?
Posted By: mikey6345

Re: Jon boat hull cleaning advice - 05/25/17 06:27 PM

Hey Catfish not sure if this idea would work for something that stained but I use Mr Clean magic erasers on my boats water/scum line and they work literally like magic. Maybe spray what you can off then hit it with the eraser. I make the kids do it smile
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Jon boat hull cleaning advice - 05/26/17 02:40 PM

If it looks like I envision, and it's been out of the water and dried, you're gonna need some aggressive tools. I would go to Harbor Freight and buy the 5" scotchbrite wheels for a mini grinder. That will attack the algae and not damage the aluminum. I completely de-rusted a steel boat trailer with a couple of those. You'll get real dirty.
Good luck!
IslandJim
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Jon boat hull cleaning advice - 05/29/17 03:25 PM

From least abrasive to most abrasive:

The order I'd go
1. Power washer

If still some algae on there, put on some rubber gloves and a mask and try the following in this order

2. Simple Green (the stuff you use to clean BBQ grills) with wire brush or Scotch Brite pad
3. TSP (trisodium Phosphate) with wire brush or Scotch Brite pad
4. Aluminum siding algae removers (Wet and Forget Moss, mold, mildew, and algae remover is a popular brand)
5. Toilet Bowl Cleaner
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum