Texas Fishing Forum

Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats

Posted By: Tellrich29

Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 06/04/20 04:55 AM

I really could use some recommendations and opinions on an Alumacraft 1436 jon boat or similar jon boats. I plan to use it for my younger son and myself. I've eye balled this particular jon boat cause its cheap (aint got to worry about title issues), will fit in the back of my F150, don't need a trailer, better than a yak, etc. Can't afford an extravagant boat and this would be a starter boat to help me introduce Redfishing to my son. I can only afford a trolling motor for now and was thinking maybe a 40 lb thrust if I can find one on sale. I've spoken to two guides who have experience on this lake and think the 36' bottom might me dangerous for the lake I intend to fish (Calaveras Lake in Bexar County). Can anyone share their experiences with this type of jon boat?
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 06/04/20 12:42 PM

I first boat was a 14' jon boat. It was narrow but man a 36" bottom is really narrow. If your pond fishing with it I think your ok but waves should be avoided. I understand you wanting to keep the size down and keep it so you can haul it in the truck. Just be aware narrow boats are tippy especialy if you have too much weight in it or in rough water. A 1448 would feel much more stable. Just my .02.
Posted By: IslandJim

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 06/04/20 02:17 PM

If you put a trolling motor on it and use it anywhere but private lakes or ponds, TPWD requires a title and registration. Yeah, it's a pain. IslandJim
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 06/05/20 07:19 AM

It can handle those lakes when the wind stays around 15 knots. You won't go far with a trolling motor, use the fish boerne lake in the same set up max speed will be about 2-3 mph. I would suggest finding a good used 5hp or 15hp motor. I had a 15 motor and it ran 22mph loaded with gear and another person. The reason I suggest an outboard is you mever know when weather/wind can get worse. Or an emergency happens and you need to get back fast. I would cruise craigslist for a boat/motor/trailer set up. I have seen some around 1k in the last few months. Save and wait, in the long run you will be glad you did.

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 06/05/20 06:23 PM

Thanks for the advice. I am taking all opinions into consideration before pulling the trigger with a purchase at academy.

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 06/05/20 06:26 PM

One of my second options is maybe a small 2.5 on up outboard forms 1236 and avoiding the trolling motor but I sooner learned them suckers are expensive too. I’ve been to boerne lake once and it seems like a nice tamed lake but they don’t allow combustible Motors. I do appreciate your input. Thank you.
Posted By: Alumacraft 14

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 06/06/20 12:57 AM

Something like this is what I was talking about: https://texoma.craigslist.org/boa/d/sherman-jon-tracker-boat-trailer/7134183260.html
Posted By: shimanodude

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 06/06/20 06:02 AM

I have a 1036 Alumacraft. I’ve used it in ponds as well as lakes before and it has seen some pretty rough water. A 35lb thrust trolling motor worked fine on it in small ponds, but felt useless in larger lakes with faster moving currents. I’ve got a 3 horse merc I use on it as well and it pushes the boat along just fine.

These flat bottom boats will beat your back up pretty good in rough conditions. I do recommend getting an actual seat with a back rest for this thing. Mine feels very stable in rough water with just me in it, but if I bring a friend or family member, it feels substantially tippier, even in calmer water.

The 1436 you are looking at will be a lot roomier than the 1035 I’ve got, but I’m curious if something like that will be easier to tip, as it is the same width as what I have but 40% longer. The little rating label that tells you how much capacity the boat can hold indicated that the 14’ model can support more weight and a much larger engine than what mine can. The 10’ is only rated at 2.5 hp and 350 lbs or so.

It’s a fine basic boat that will get you on the water. Nothing fancy or too comfortable, but very durable and it can float in some pretty shallow water if needed. IMO it feels so much more at home in smaller ponds and lakes than it does in bigger ones. Very affordable to buy, and very light. Easy for 2 people to lift in the back of your truck and will fit between the wheel wells in the bed like a glove.

As Alumacraft 14 mentioned, watch out for those deals on Craigslist and other online sites. There are some very good deals out there to be had if you look and you are patient. The one they linked looks solid. The trailer will makes loading and unloading the boat a lot easier if you ever have to do it by yourself. The gas motor really is necessary in my opinion if you are going to be fishing bigger water. The V-hull design boat like the one in that link is going to ride smoother, feel more stable, and cut through the waves a lot easier than the flat bottoms will so something like that is definitely worth considering before you pull the plug on a new boat. Just make sure you get a title for it whatever you do.

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 06/13/20 07:17 PM

Thanks JR for your input. I’m still searching and have been back and forth.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 07/08/20 06:34 PM

I was a park ranger for a few years at Calaveras. I can't even count how many people I had to rescue that were stranded on the opposite side of the lake because their battery pooped out after struggling with the south winds on the lake. Get a small outboard to get you from point A to Point B, then use the trolling motor. Otherwise, avoid the lake. Boerne Lake is a good option, but even that lake gets really windy. Why do you think they had windsurfing championships there, LOL.
Posted By: catcrew68

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 05/31/21 05:30 PM

Tellrich, I've fished a lot out of a 1436 and loved it, but most of my fishing was in rivers where wind was not a factor. I would be
very cautious in lakes, it can get rough so quickly. Good luck.
Posted By: SteveBob

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 06/17/21 10:25 AM

My Alumacraft is a 2002 1436. Man what a surprise I had when I first launched my "new to me" boat for the first time. The motor came with the boat and trailer so I assumed oh well..... I happen to be a large upper 200s in my early 60s. They had a 20hp 4 stroke Suzuki 115 pound outboard and a trolling motor both hanging on the transom. I bought their story about that is how they ran it.just as sold I cant believe we did not sink it on first launch. In a separate story..... It leaked like a sieve too. Although I bet it would have been an extremely fast boat with a 20 hp pushing it. I'm just not that man. They were rated at (correct me if I'm wrong) 9.9 or 15 hp and that was a much lighter 2 stroke it was designed for back then. I'm going to repair this boat and then sell it. Then when they become available again, I'll buy a brand new bigger wider hull boat but use the motor and trailer that I have now.

I was stationed at Fort Sam Houston in the 90s and fished Calaveras and all of the waterways around there in a small boat. Trust me when I say for safety sake go bigger than a 1436 if your going on Calaveras. I was caught by two pop storms out there that still give me nightmares 30 years later about a 14 ft aluminum boat with a 9.9 outboard on that lake on the way back from the hot water discharge.. Just my humble opinion but I would not go out there with less than a 1648 and at minimum a 25hp motor. That is unless you only wanna hug the shoreline.
Posted By: stinkydog

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 10/03/21 01:54 PM

I have used my 1448 Fisher aluminum with a modified bow. The old warrior has been all over for twenty five years. Its an all welded boat that has no leaks. I run a 25 hp Yamaha. I have to run fresh gas in it. If my old Yammie could talk. I enjoy this forum.
Posted By: cva34

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 10/27/21 12:51 PM

Been there...1448 ok ....The 14 is Ok enough But that 36" is too tippy..in general and for sure ruffer waters...but its my opinion/everyone got one...I had a 1236 and figgerd that out Quick...Now i got a Superior 1660..with pontoons what a barge 1993 vintage 30hp ZUKI 2020 vintage tiller
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 05/06/22 07:35 PM

Tellrich29, I ran a 1542 a few years with a 25 hp and it did ok. But around here, I see a lot of 1548 all welded boats because guys have learned it is more stable and roomier.
Posted By: briancooper

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 05/23/22 07:56 PM

As a teenager and into my 20's my brothers and I had an alumacraft 1436 from academy with a 5 hp Mariner 2-stroke. Caught a million fish out of that thing, just knew our limitations. Never really crossed the lake unless it was flat calm, but picked a large cove or reasonably protected area and wore them out.
Posted By: Gordonthefisherman

Re: Alumacraft 1436 Jon Boats - 06/19/22 03:50 PM

I have had a 1436 from Alumacraft and a G3 1442. The 1442much heavier and safer but you will probably need a trailer.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum